Railroad Forums 

• "The Last Mile" Problem

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1637653  by Greg Moore

I was going to go hyperlocal on this, but decided to open it up.
What prompted this was an email from my local transit agency (CDTA) this morning.
They are offering a new service: Flex+. (note over time the Flex+ might drop down from the top of the page).

Anyway for $3 (cash is an option) one can get across the river from the Albany-Rensselaer Amtrak station to the Empire Plaza/Capital complex and a few other areas.

Anyone who knows the Albany-Rensselaer station knows it's on "the wrong side of the river" from the state capital.
This helps close that gap.

While not run by Amtrak, this demonstrates one way to close that last mile gap that some stations suffer.

What else is out there?
 #1637656  by Gilbert B Norman

In Miami; a lot.

$2.25 a ride gets you on Metrorail from the Airport to, I'd dare say, anywhere - with a little help from the free Metromover - in the Downtown area you wish to go. It will also get you from the existing Amtrak (and I'd dare say permanent as I'd be astounded if they ever move to the Airport) station if you are willing to take a security risk considering the after dark arrival of both 91 and 97.

It works just fine for me as the hotel at which I stay - Marriott Biscayne Bay @ 16th and Bayshore - is some 100 paces away from Metromover.

What's funny is that at Breakfast yesterday, I met a gal from Greenwich who just happens to know my Sister. She was praising away about how I should get an Uber account "they're only $50 to the Airport and a taxi is $75". Of course, it's safe to note she was surely toting around a bit more than my over-the-shoulder Flight Bag; but I never got into my $2.25 on Metrorail.
 #1637671  by NaugyRR

Per my wife, CDTA has always been pretty affordable. She works in one of the four agency buildings, and would actually drive to the park and ride on 9 & 20 to take CDTA in to work as it was cheaper than her parking permit for the plaza. The only reason she stopped was due to a schedule change with the bus.

Dutchess County offers bus services from the Poughkeepsie train station for $1.75 per ride.
 #1637684  by scratchyX1

But, then there is the issue of "ew, I don't want to take the public bus, there could be poor people who don't look like me on it".
As opposed to the real, but fixable issues like bunching, scheduling, shelters, etc
 #1637687  by FatNoah

One word: Brightline.
It's funny that you mentioned that. I'm planning the annual family journey south to see the snowbird in-laws. Last time we took the train from the northeast to central Florida (the time before that involved sleeping in the airport in ATL and a 5 hour drive).

This time around, the family would really like to check out Miami Beach, so we're looking at visiting Central Florida and then making a Brightline trip to Miami. Availability of "integrated" transit from the station is definitely very nice. I have no problem exploring local buses and trains, but am reticent to do so with the family and their luggage in tow.
 #1637689  by R36 Combine Coach

There are some other cities with the last mile issue:

Montpelier, VT ( the station is at Montpelier Junction, outside the town). Essex Junction is also outside Burlington, though the Ethan Allen directly serves Burlington.

Depew - outside Buffalo as a suburban station, Exchange Street is the downtown station.

Both Niagara Falls stations (NY and ON) are about 1.5 miles from the main areas.

Route 128/Westwood - an auto-oriented park/ride, with last mile issues coming up for passengers without cars or someone coming for pickup.

Sturtevant - in an industrial area, several miles outside Racine.

Orlando - located downtown, away from major attractions and resort communities.

Other major cities with stations on the outskirts are Richmond (Staples Mill) and Jacksonville.

Of course with San Francisco being off the National Network, there is Thruway service at Emeryville.

Another location where I could see the last time problem resolved is Windsor Locks, right near Bradley International and a "train to the plane" BDL connection would work here, given recent added service on the inland Springfield Line.
 #1637694  by ryanwc

scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:25 pm But, then there is the issue of "ew, I don't want to take the public bus, there could be poor people who don't look like me on it".
As opposed to the real, but fixable issues like bunching, scheduling, shelters, etc
Sure, but there's pretty much always Uber for those people, so I assume the question is where is there a public transportation option.

I think a related questions is where does car rental exist/not exist. I would have taken Amtrak to a conference in downstate Illinois last year, even to a town not served. Both of the closest towns have car rental, but unfortunately, not on Sundays, when I was heading down.
 #1637696  by Tadman

Kind of crazy there isn't a best pratice(s) for last mile. Right now you have some high profile last mile situations like Oakland-San Francisco or Detroit-Windor. If there were better publicized services or doctrines it might open up some more markets, especially on corridors. The upcoming Duluth service would be better if it were Superior WI with a swift coach ride to Duluth and Two Harbors.
 #1637705  by eolesen

Public transit would be a better option if it wasn't so difficult for one-timer's to use.

For most systems, you can't just tap a debit card or your phone's wallet and get on.

You have to go find their kiosk or a reseller, buy a reloadable card compatible with their readers, pre-load it with some fixed value that has no correlation to a one-way fare.

Or... find and install their app, set up a login with a 28 mixed case plus special characters password, wait for two factor authentication to let you in, and then pre-pay some fixed value that has no correlation to a one-way fare.

THEN you're good to go.... The wasted time and added frustration are complementary benefits...
 #1637735  by electricron

The last mile problem is not Amtrak's responsibility, it is the local transit agency's and eventually your's.
Why this issue is even being discussed on the Amtrak forum?
 #1637738  by scratchyX1

eolesen wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:42 pm Public transit would be a better option if it wasn't so difficult for one-timer's to use.

For most systems, you can't just tap a debit card or your phone's wallet and get on.

You have to go find their kiosk or a reseller, buy a reloadable card compatible with their readers, pre-load it with some fixed value that has no correlation to a one-way fare.

Or... find and install their app, set up a login with a 28 mixed case plus special characters password, wait for two factor authentication to let you in, and then pre-pay some fixed value that has no correlation to a one-way fare.

THEN you're good to go.... The wasted time and added frustration are complementary benefits...
It would be nice if they all standardized on the Transit app, and then have their backend APIs take care of transfers, etc. You just install the transit, have 20$ sitting on it, and get notified when the amount is below 5 dollars.
That way, no matter what system you are on, the app tells you what's the best course, and you take it.
 #1637740  by NaugyRR

electricron wrote:The last mile problem is not Amtrak's responsibility, it is the local transit agency's and eventually your's.
Why this issue is even being discussed on the Amtrak forum?
Because it's a symbiotic relationship. The more last mile connections you have, the more likely people are to ditch the car or plane for Amtrak. Amtrak's is in a unique position to offer train service either in city centers or close to it, working with local transit and ride share agencies will only benefit them in the long run. Brightline has the right idea with their current ride share aspects.

I would take Amtrak down to Disney instead of fly if they had the same amount of connecting transportation options that MCO does. Why not partner with Mears?

I don't see anything wrong with discussing last mile connections in the Amtrak forum. It's something I always plan into my Amtrak trips.
 #1637758  by electricron

Because Brightline does something does not mean Amtrak has to do it too.
Does Brightline run bus services inter city, like from Miami to Key West like Amtrak runs between LA and Bakersfield?
Does Brightline run bus services between Orlando's Airport and Disney World? Does Amtrak? No! Local bus lines and taxis, whether private or public, do so.
Should Amtrak ban them from their stations? No! Really how many train stations does Amtrak really own? 1 %? So 99% or more are owned by local public and private partners. They set the rules, not Amtrak in most of the USA. Even the LA to Bakersfield bus link Amtrak promotes is subsidized by California.
Again, not much Amtrak can do here.
 #1637764  by NaugyRR

So by that logic Amtrak shouldn't try anything new or progressive to dry to draw in passenger numbers? Even if it's just marketing or reaching out to public and private transportation options to see what kind of relationship possibilities exist?

You are correct that how you get to where you're going after you get off the train isn't Amtrak's problem, and sure, just because Brightline does something doesn't mean Amtrak should.

That said, could it really hurt? I'm not suggesting the train crew get out and hold your hand to a car, then drive you personally to your hotel. I just don't see the harm in trying to appeal to a broader audience, especially when you have younger generations that are starting to forgo car ownership. To me there would be no harm in Amtrak Marketing reaching out to Uber, Lyft, the local county bus or taxi, and saying "Hey, *insert station* is a bit of a connecting transportation desert. We feel if we publicize and help our passengers with connecting to your services that it would boost both our numbers, is that something you'd like to look into with us?".