Railroad Forums 

• Questions about UP hiring session.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#130286  by maverick28

I'm thinking about applying for a trainservice position for the UP. I just want to know almost exactly what that day will involve. I just hope it isn't as grueling as the BNSF hiring session I recently attended. Any information would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post to the forum and the information I have read has been very good.
 #130407  by JuKayes

maverick28,

While I personally have not attended a orientation and hiring session for the UP, I have several friends who have... And quite simply put, "Yes" you can expect the same type of experience you had at the BNSF..

I have been through the one for the BNSF, and while I didn't think it was really all that tough... I'll admit I probably made it tougher on myself, by being so wound up about it... But that was because I wanted the job so bad..

But seriously, from what I've heard, they're equally stringent in the testing, and interview sessions...

If anything I might even say the testing from what I've heard, and again mind you I haven't been to a UP session, only the BNSF...

But from the handful of people I know who've attended the UP sessions they described the testing for the UP as maybe even a little tougher than that of the BNSF...

Hope that kinda answers your question... I'm sure some of the others on the board can give you a different perspective... But that's my $.02..

#130456  by UPRR engineer

Grueling? What is hard about it? They just test your strength, thats not hard, give you a reading type test, and then regular interview like any other job. Dont get discouraged. What was grueling about the BNSF interveiw? ill try to help you out, and tell you what they wanna hear. Guess i could tell you some now, dont say anything negative, be possitive in every answer you give them. Wear something nice, but not too nice like a suit and tie, you dont wanna look like your afraid to get dirty, nice pants and good looking shirt will do just fine. Tell them that the railroad looks like a challenging job that you will find interesting and will enjoy. I might be wrong on this next one, but you may not want to tell them your looking to get out of trainservice quickly, like moving up to management, that time will come after your already working, there looking for switchman/brakeman/conductors at these interviews not trainmasters. If you have worked around heavy equipment before thats a plus, be sure to tell them that one for sure. If i think of some more ill let you know.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Wed May 25, 2005 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#130468  by UPRR engineer

Dont be a mouse during any part of the hiring session, be out spoken but dont be the loudest person in the group. Have a smile on your face, give the impression of being a nice person who works well with everyone. I noticed in my interview the hiring manager was always scanning the room watching how everyone was acting with each other, if you go with a freind and you think he is trouble give him some space, dont blow him off just try to talk with other people at the interview who you dont know, this is a good thing to do. If you get a chance talk to the manager before you sit down for the interview DO IT, eather down at the yard office or when you first show up at the hiring session, it will make the interview go alot smoother. Dont come across as being a risk taker, as for me someone who races motocross, dives off cliffs at the lake, i would have never told them that. Safe hobbies and interest that keep you busy is what you want to tell them, doing stuff with the family, keeping the kids happy, stuff like that. If they ask you a what would you do question, tell them report everything, encourage fellow coworkers to work safe, they like that that kinda stuff. Im sure i can think of some other stuff also.
 #130478  by JuKayes

I wouldn't really say anything was tough at all about it... Like I said I made it alot tougher on myself by being so wound-up, and anxious over the whole thing...

I mean that was tough... You go in there knowing how badly you want the job and you press... I think that was what maverick28 was trying to say...

The actual test itself and the interview wasn't tough at all... At least I didn't think so... Like you've said simple math and reading tests... Psych test... and then the interview... nothing really tough about any of it...

Except for someone walking off the street who really has made up their mind this is what they want to do for a living, and really wants the job... I mean you're sitting there in some hotel conference room, with 200 other guys that you know are all gunning for the same job...

And to make it all the more unsettling that the first words out of the HR persons mouth is, "Okay thank all 200 of you for coming today, and by the way did I happen to mention that we only have 6 openings."

I mean that puts the pressure on.... Especially when you know if you screw up, and aren't picked you're looking a 6-month window to think about everything you shoulda, woulda coulda done differently... Before you're gonna be eligable to try again.

So I can kinda relate to the, "grueling" thing... No the test and the the interview aren't... Those are easy.. It's the process, that is grueling... It's going through all of that and waiting, not knowing... Did I make it, or didn't I?? Am I in, or do I gotta wait 6-mo. and then try again..

#130486  by UPRR engineer

Dont ask about engine service, they will tell you at the start of the hiring session that you will be required to make it as a hoghead one day or you will be terminated, thats all you need to know, leave it at that, just like wanting to be a manager. You are there to hire out as a switchman/conductor not as a hog. Telling them you want engine service is like telling them you dont wanna work you just wanna sit on your ass and run the train. Worry about engine service after you have already hired out. Managers know hogs have it easy as far as the work goes, you dont wanna seam lazy, i wouldnt even say anything about engine service unless they bring it up in the interview, if they do bring it up, dont seem too eager to get in the chair "i cant wait... how long do i have to wait" dont say stuff like that. Tell them your up for it when the time comes. If your buddy or family member works for the railroad and is trying to get you on, find out if he is a good employee, if the manager thinks he isnt he may think the same of you. Going down to the yard office and talking to him before, or during the session, ask him about your freind of family member. If you get the feeling he isnt to happy with him, dont use him as your edge to hire out, your on your own after that, leave him the impression your better than he is, nothing negative mind you, just try to separate yourselve. I got my best buddy hired on, i talked to the manager before hand, told him he was just like me, the manager didnt even ask him anything except if he was ready to come to work. His words were "I talked to Josh, i dont have anything to ask". Im sure that was pretty cool for my freind. Had i been a turd at work it wouldnt have gone so good for my freind. What i said about engine service, before i hired out, the MOP was my neighbor across the street. When i told him i wanted to hire out for the UP so i could be a hoghead he got a wierd look on his face, like a lemon was in his mouth, and i knew i said the wrong thing. I should have said i want to switch the GR yard. Hope all this helps some one out. Im still thinking of more to add.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Wed May 25, 2005 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#130487  by UPRR engineer

The way to separate yourself from the 200 is to have already talked to the manager before hand, your not just some joe off the street then anymore. Some of the pressure is off then. Thats the best advice i can give. If you decide to take my advice and go to the yard office, dont show up at 8:00, they are way to busy to talk to you then, show up after 1:00 or so when things have slowed down a bit and they have had something to eat for lunch.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Wed May 25, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#130488  by maverick28

Thanks for all of the information. I think I will apply for a trainservice position for the UP at a location relatively close to me. As far as the BNSF interview goes I didn't do as good as I hoped I would. I wasn't prepared for a few of the questions they asked. I did empathize on safety a great deal since I served in the military, safety happens to be a big issue. I did get turned down for the position at BNSF. I believe it was the interview that screwed me. BNSF told me I passed all my tests. I wore a pair of slacks collared shirt and a tie and was quite amazed by the number of people that didn't dress up. I didn't quite catch. Does the UP make their applicants take the individual timed psych tests?

#130491  by UPRR engineer

individual timed psych tests? i dont know what that is. tell me about it.

Your welcome buddy.

#130493  by jg greenwood

UPRR engineer wrote:individual timed psych tests? i dont know what that is. tell me about it.
Hogan Personality Inventory? Both CSX and Amtrak use this test.

#130494  by UPRR engineer

Well they didnt when i hired out, and i havent heard any new guys talk about it so i would say no they dont. Wonder why they would do that? Even a jackass such as myself can tell what someones personality is after a few minutes of talking with them, humm weird.

#130503  by jg greenwood

UPRR engineer wrote:Well they didnt when i hired out, and i havent heard any new guys talk about it so i would say no they dont. Wonder why they would do that? Even a jerk such as myself can tell what someones personality is after a few minutes of talking with them, humm weird.
It's basically common sense. Would you prefer to spend an evening reading a book or partying? The majority of us would opt for the partying, however, that's not what they want to hear. They're trying to eliminate risk takers. Would you enjoy sky-diving? I probably would, again, not what they want to hear. Would you like to be a Nascar driver? No is the appropriate answer here, regardless of your true feelings.

#130506  by UPRR engineer

Oh i see what the test is all about, wonder why the UP isnt doing that one then.

#130568  by SteelWheels21

The BNSF psych battery is what I call "The same five questions asked 20 dirferent ways". It's to see if you're risky, but it tries to trip you up with the different ways the questions are presented. Personally, I was kind of giggling a little bit, "didn't I just answer this 8 questions ago" but if you're not too quick on the uptake it might not seem like the same thing.

UP's testing wasn't as hard as BNSF's, but the thing I liked about UP was that I got to talk to someone who actually WAS a manager, not some HR geek.

#131417  by route_rock

Buddy of mine went to Galesburg hiring for the BNSF and was interviewed by the trainmaster and a GYM. Trainmaster ran the testing as well and the Galesburg Yard Super. Only one HR geek! And he just read from the script :P Anyhow any railroad you go to like UP said be THE man! Be up front with how you will like the job. Youll get this question" can you handle the railroad lifestyle?" Dont say I dont know say something like" Well I am sure I can adjust to it in time, and my family ( or just you) are willing to give it a good try as this is a career I want to retire out of" This is what these guys want to hear ( granted most know its BS but if you sound like you really want it thats all that matters. Plus I cant agree more with " When will I be an engineer" comments being the kiss of death. Remember what you are hiring for! Good luck and see you on the high iron!