• Pullman coaches at RMLI: It's not a lost cause

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Long Island 7285

As of last saturday 7-16, I was doing some work in (2924) to clean out and dust the pullman that is still intact for this years rail fest, so people can go in and walk safely through the car.

I also was in the car that hase the floor half ripped out (2933) and have seen first hand what nearly 50 dedicated years of service has done to these wonderfull coaches. we are lucky enough to have what we have and after seeing the damage witch "Long Island Joe" will be posting pictures of next. I see that the cars can be brought back to operable condition and that we need to recrute people that are experanced at welding and are intrested in getting a future excursion with these cars when the work gets done. but before we get ahead of our selves here. I would like to ask here on this forum for the nescary help to get these pullmans running. 1 running car is all we need to get a privite train between Riverhead and Greenport. and i want to take this project 1 car at a time. the work can be done and i have ridden in a pullman that has already been restored (out of NYS) and she runs better then when she was in service. Im asking you to please come down and contribute either labor or capital (witch ever you choose) im not forcing nor demanding any thing from any one, to bring atleast 1 pullman (2933) back to life by next railfest. Yes I know that 39 is being worked on and alot of focus is on that, but what use is 39 under steam with nothing to pull, LIRR is not going to put 39 on the head of the scoot.

by Long island Joe

http://long_island_joe.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures/4879/SV300093.JPG

http://long_island_joe.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures/4879/SV300084.JPG

2933-2924

[converted back to links by OV to help load time]

by RPM2Night

When is the railfest supposed to be?

I sure miss seeing these coaches running in regular service. My dad and I every now and then would drive up to Oyster Bay, have my mom drop us off, and pick us up at Mineola after riding the train on the OB Branch. Those were the days. I miss how the cars vestibules were opened, only closed off by the chains, so you could often ride on the back and enjoy the view and enjoy some fresh air.

Being that I am not living in NY anymore I doubt I'll be able to invest any time in helping restore these cars, but if I get a chance to visit during a weekend I'll try and stop by and help out atleast one of the days I'm visiting.

by Long island Joe

As for the "Open House," I believe you're refering to Riverhead Railroad Festival. Plans are in full swing for our sixth event on Saturday and Sunday, August 27 and 28. We will be celebrating the 50th Anniversary of "The End of Steam" on the LIRR, 1955 - 2005. Gates open at 10:00 AM and close at 4:00 PM each day. There will be a host of new surprises for the attendees as well as the usual vendors, food and displays.

by Long Island 7285

This is not a good sign. it looks like my self LIjoe and the rest of RMLI might be the only ones who have intrest in the fate of the pullmans. i was in them my self its not impossibly to get 1 of them railworhty by next railfest.

by One of One-Sixty

Long Island 7285 wrote:This is not a good sign. it looks like my self LIjoe and the rest of RMLI might be the only ones who have intrest in the fate of the pullmans. i was in them my self its not impossibly to get 1 of them railworhty by next railfest.
Do not fret, remember that not everybody has a cdhnce to visit the forums all the time. Like myself, I can visit every so often.

Email me off board with further details as I am interested in helping put in some hands on tiem.

by Long Island 7285

Maby i was work for starting this topic, and trying to get hands on tools and out of pockets to do work on these cars. and after seeing pictures of the MP54s and the 200 Pre RMLI its a shame that a meuseum set for presevation can let that happen to the cars.(i was not around at that time so i dont know everything about that.)

the pullmans i realize that they are from 1955 and have took an asswhopen in service for nearly half a century. and i realize that the grant is for 39 and not the pullmans, but things need to get done, jsut standing at rmli and discuessing waht should be done and what can be done gets nothing, zelch, zip, nada, done. action needs to be taken the public cannot be betraid and we need the pullmans restored and thoes whom are members should be aloud to access the cars with out question to preform, and continue on the work that they left off. weather its me, or any other RMLI member. we all need to be together as one and get the jobs done. and the damage on the pullmans are real bad but 1 can certenly get running by next railfest. and the young blood needs to be more welcomed then they are, as the younger adults are the ones who hold the future of rmli in there hands, long after the sons and daughters of the ventern railroads are gone.

and the bebate about the pump to put the oil in 1556. put a dam bucket out and collect, how much is a pump going to run that everyone cannot contribute to get a pump? and has any one even truned the engine to see if it has not seased from sitting still all these years? what about bee killer, why not make a collection to get some of that? it might help a bit, and be better then nothing. all im going to say is that is simply sad. and its more then not haveing money, the negative attitude needs to quite upon reading this AKA now. and things need to change for the better. instead of making rmil an inconviance, make it a fun loving place where thigns get done and we are all respeced for what we do and for who we are, and no discriminated by age.

by Paul

Long Island 7285: Did you know it can take more than a minute for a 244 engine to develop oil preassure when being started? One does not just "bucket in" 200+ gallons of oil into a locomotive engine, turn the fuel pump on and start the old girl up. You could do that but I almost will garantee some major internal engine damage.

I have known 39's project director for almost 20 years and rest assured Rob is most capable and he and I have worked together in the past on more than a few restorations.

Before you put any oil in the old girl, she should have her cooling system filled with water and checked for internal water leaks. Cardboard should be placed in the crancase and the water allowed to sit over night. Any leakage of the liner seals will show up on the cardboard. If there are liner seals leaking, you just didnt waist your very expensive engine oil.

I gather that the powers to be are deciding the best way to pump the oil in.
IMHO, the best way is to pump it in through the lube oil system under pressure. This needs to be done on an engine that has sat for many years. once you start to pressurize the lube oil system, then you open the crankcase inspection covers to verify that oil is getting to the main bearings. Then you need to remove all the rocker covers and verify oil is getting to the top end of the rocker arms, pushrods and valve bridges. Still yet, the engine needs to be turned over by hand (I volonteer you for that job) a few rotations to make sure the bearings are lubed and there are no obstructions in the cylinders.

The aux drive gear train needs to be checked for oil as well (dipstick on right side of engine on rear of generator). Lay shaft and related linkages must be lubed and free as for movement as well. The govenor should be drained and purged with kerosene, the two pilot valves removed and cleaned, then fill the governor with one gallon of Dextron 3 transmission fluid. Disconnect the fuel return line and turn the fuel pump on and purge the fuel system The turbo needs to be checked as well, best way is with a long coat hanger to hook the blades and see if they turn freely. Most of all, be patiant with the process. Better to take a few weekends of preperations and have a good running engine, than to rush the job and have an instant static locomotive display.
I am sure I am forgetting something, but that comes with age.

by CP Rail

Yea LI Joe ouit The Railroad Museum of Long Island its Sad what's going on There.

oh p.s nice Logo Cousin Hockey Back Baby oh Yea :wink:

by alcoAL

CP Rail,

What do you mean by "what's going on there" in reference to RMLI?

There have been plenty of ideas on this forum about what should be preserved and what's not being touched. Unfortunately a half dozen members on any particular Saturday can't do everything and some things can't be saved. When I was active in Project 39 and the early years of RMLI, there were about 15 or 20 members who regularly showed up to do the physical work.

Paul stated above what's needed to prep and start an out of service diesel. If someone like him with a certain expertise couldn't come out, then planned work wouldn't get done. So the members who were there would work on something else like replacing rotted ties under the tender so that it could be lowered back on its trucks. I remember that taking several Saturdays one summer. Then to lower the tender once it was ready, we needed to jack it up onto new cribbing, roll the trucks under it and lower it back while removing the cribbing. Certain skills were needed for this to do it safely & properly. So again the dozen or so members would be working on this and not the caboose for instance.

The LIRR had all the equipment and skilled labor to do some of these things in a short time. Volunteers without the proper equipment do it another way and take longer. I'm sure the P72 coach mentioned in another thread could be rebuilt with the right equipment and manpower in a short amount of time. Right now the RMLI doesn't have that.

Sorry to be rambling on but not everyone's ideas can be accomplished. I'd like to have seen that RS1 back on LI as well as a C420 and an FA, and on and on. But I know with the limited money, time & volunteers, these won't happen. I've been away for quite a few years from actually helping out due to 3 kids and my work schedule. Now I have some more time & I'm helping out with things that don't require me to go to Riverhead or Greenport. Every bit helps and like it's been said so many times, come out and help one way or another and we'll get to see some of these ideas actually get done. Now I'll shut up.
-AL

by Long island Joe

Yes CP Rail I Quit RMLI I Have No Free Time To Go To Riverhead.
Last edited by Long island Joe on Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by tushykushy

Okay, CP Rail, you need a new avatar because it's very irratating having an obnoxiously big image on the screen. I think the admin/mods need to make the limit 100x100, or 150x150.

Secondly... you have to accept that all of this will come in time. Rome wasn't built in a day. Joe, you wanted to get the RS-1 and the pullman's ready by this year's railfest? It's totaly unrealistic. Like any good project manager, you have to see what you have first and work with it. Take the necessary time to map out what exactly needs to be done to it, purchase the materials, find some skilled people who know what they are doing and go from there. You claim the "young" people are the future of the RMLI program but you do need to realize the older folks are more knowledgeable and you do need to learn from them. Having an open mind and being open to learn would be a huge plus.

To me it seems you people are constantly re-inventing the wheel over and over again. Formulate one plan and go with it. Having a workable engine let lone a respectable looking pullman won't happen next week, not next year, maybe in a couple of years. Besides, how likely would it be to allow an excursion to happen? Have you asked a qualified person on the LIRR about it? What happens if you do all the preperation to only figure out you can't run the equipment? What a waste that would be.

I am getting a vibe that everything needs to get done pronto and there isn't anytime to waste. You have to slow down a little bit and really think things out.

Just my 2 cents.

by Long Island 7285

i never said lets put oil in 1556 tommrow and turn her over.
in fact i never said to turn the engine over that fast.

i was talking in refrence to the pump that is the big issue as to why 200 gallons are sitting in drums instead of being slowly pupmed into the enine.
it is rediculas to jsut stand there with hands in pocket and bullshit that 1556 is not going to idle for railfest, make a donation pot and everyone here puts in some money and buys a pump to pump in the oil. and NO THIS DONT HAVE TO BE DONE TOMMROW, NOR IN THE SAME DAY. what part of the caps did you not understand? what gets to me is that i dont see a big intrest in anything. i hope this attitude dont show when 39 comes back and she sits n rust for another 50 years. and i also know that i cant do the work souly by my self and i need others who are intrested and want to participate to do so and not just stand there and say "what if" action works better then what if's in this situation. and when there being utilized as work comences then its even better.

and 1 more thing JayRMLI is project manager of the pullmans not myself, all im doing is making an attemp at cleaning out the car for railfest, and ignite the flame toward a restoration project to be reserected and to move full swing ahead.

by Otto Vondrak

7285- You should be careful, people might be confusing your posts with official information from RMLI. It's good to display enthusiasm, but you need to make sure that you aren't misleading the public with your posts. It could create some misunderstandings that would be hard for the museum to mend.

by Long Island 7285

have i not clarifyed my self. im just a volenteer there, not a project manager and i jsut wanted to re ignite the intrest in the restoration, i have not gotten any where thre with current plans other then we stoped work on them, no offence, but from a volenteer stand point that dont look good. when i go there i want to work and make progress, not stand there and watch the worlds fair train circle the place. after railfest, its time we re think our plans and show action and get working.

i know about the time issues.

i know about the money issues.

and i know about the perosnal issue. witch come first.

is there any thing yall dont under stand. and if so how many i clarify it to you.