Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Richard Glueck

Okay kiddies, let's try this:

There are no money problems for transporting the unit; there is space available within a fenced and patrolled area. What are your top ten LIRR pieces of equipment not yet preserved, but you want to see in a comprehensive museum? Equipment already preserved is not eligible, including a certain rotary plow.

RS1 #467, C420 #213, Knox and Kane P54's, ...what else?

by LIRRNOVA55

one of the S1's

oh yeah. .a nd that "certain rotary plow"
Last edited by LIRRNOVA55 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Nasadowsk

2 complete pairs of m-1s, and the spares to get them rolling in 25 years.

Actually, it'd be nice if they ever do a farewell trip, to re enable P3/P4 rates and make the train a 6 car set. I'd really love to see what the m-1s are like running at their designed rates....

by RRChef

2037 "Tuscarora Club" only diner ever owned by the LIRR. It's located somewhere down in Georgia.

by belpaire

Easy, the wooden combine in Arkansas.

by Richard Glueck

Is the old Gas-Electric still in existence in the Carolinas?

by badneighbor

any first and second generation diesels, Alcos and FMs

by RRChef

I don't know if the gas car is still around, but over ten years ago I had heard from a reliable source that it was being used as a chicken coup. The interior was missing and so were the trucks.

Unfortunately, none of the FM's are still in existence. Those OP engines were much too valuable to be wasted in poor performing railroad equipment.

by Lupo 10

Ooohh Oooohh! I got it. Let's save ten GP-38-2's. LOL

Just kidding. I would say my list is as follows

RS-1 #467

C420

S-1

RS-3 #1555 (even if it is a shell)

W85 B&M car

LIRR boxcar (the one in LIC. Is it too far gone?)

Someone on here once mentioned that SIRT has one of the former LIRR "IC" cabooses. If this is true add it to the list

Tuscarora Club as was mentioned above

Hmmmmm, I can't get to 10. I'm sure there are more I'm not aware of

by alcoAL

Add the surviving RDC if it's still around today.

Also caboose #80 that the LIRR built. It was one of a kind.

Maybe get back an Alco FA1/2.

One of the 25ton GE shop engines

Get back the GE 44tonner from Conn.

by Clemuel

A LIRR Trolley and MP-41

by de402

CP owns a functioning FM Cliner

by Lupo 10

A functioning C Liner would be awesome even if it isn't original to LIRR. I was going to have that on my list but wasn't aware any existed. Good call!

by LIRRNOVA55

While no tentirerly LIRR related, but does relate to RRing on LI, In the "Boat Graveyard" off aurthur kill ave. in staten isle, theres an ex PRR Stick Lighter Tug Still in Full PRR paint, half sunk. I sure would love to see that in a museum somwhere,
FWIW, people who dont know what a lighter is its a tugboat with a large deck and a boom, and can unload ships ontop barges.
Hey, the hudson was major with RR acticity in the 50-70's!

by LIengineerBob

Lupo 10 wrote: Someone on here once mentioned that SIRT has one of the former LIRR "IC" cabooses. If this is true add it to the list.
100% true. The ex IC/LIRR caboose still does exist on the MTA-Staten Island Railway (as it's now called), along with ex-LIRR Alco S-1 #407. Both recently underwent a complete rebuilding/repainting program and are used daily in work train service. They even went as far as to install a chrome plated 5-chime horn on the S-1.