Railroad Forums 

• Potential MBTA Southern NH Service

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1639850  by CRail

Why should a Massachusetts agency fund a study regarding another state's rail service?
 #1640257  by CRail

There will not be any additional service offered within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I thought you were opposed to frivolous spending.
 #1640304  by BandA

Unlike the MA state government and their employees I am against wasting money, but can't see NH paying for a study of track conditions in MA. But if this is a NH led project I guess they would have to. If they forgo Nashua / Bedford/ Merrimack / Concord and only do the state line station in South Nashua - would NH have to pay for service from Lowell to South Nashua or just the fraction of a mile that is in NH?
 #1640399  by CRail

The path for the service is not important. NH needs to pay for the cost associated with getting service TO their stop. As far as the infrastructure goes, it's T property up to state line, track upgrades to that point are the responsibility of MA. The T doesn't need to study track upgrades. Economic, environmental, and feasibility studies (all of which I think are ridiculous) are NH's to do.
 #1640423  by mbrproductions

CRail wrote:Economic, environmental, and feasibility studies (all of which I think are ridiculous) are NH's to do.
I agree, it's what screwed over South Coast Rail so badly
 #1640425  by BowdoinStation

CRail wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:24 am The path for the service is not important. NH needs to pay for the cost associated with getting service TO their stop. As far as the infrastructure goes, it's T property up to state line, track upgrades to that point are the responsibility of MA. The T doesn't need to study track upgrades. Economic, environmental, and feasibility studies (all of which I think are ridiculous) are NH's to do.
Commuter rail in NH has been studied, studied and studied.. A few years back, NH, through a Federal Grant that was at no cost to the NH Taxpayer, studied what it would take to build, operate, who would ride it, and how much would it all cost. I believe the NH legislature put an end to future commuter rail studies. At the present time, The NH State Gov't, seems to have zero interest in putting up the state's portion of the federal funding to build it, maintain it, and pay the MBTA operate the service. Granite Staters will have suffer in traffic to Boston for the foreseeable future.
 #1640658  by Red Wing

BandA wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:13 pm Unlike the MA state government and their employees I am against wasting money,
As an employee of the Commonwealth I can tell you we do our best to not waste your money. If you feel we are wasting your money have the lawmakers change the laws that call for the studies.