Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#726476  by Chicagopcclcars

Resting after conducting a number of emergency stops, the first 5000 AC propulsion is at Bryn Marw on track one. The 5000s were deliberately designed to be look-alikes to the 3200s.

The first round of tests today were evidently service braking from full speed. The Bombardier 5000s are shown accelerating next to Granville in this tele shot from Thorndale.

During the braking tests, the 5000s try to catch a neighboring Red line train.

In order to insure the new 5000s don't break down going through the complex Howard Street interlockings, the test cars are hauled by four "horses" made from an eight car drag from Howard Yard. The other four cars make up the buffer train that will follow. The two sets of cars are parked at the ends of track one leaving about 3 miles in between for testing. This photo shows the horses hauling 5012/5011.

David Harrison
 #726823  by byte

Those right there are some pretty neat photos, David. Do you have any info on when/where they'll be testing the new cars in the future? It might be worth seeking out for some photos.
 #727113  by Chicagopcclcars

Thanks byte. NO I have no other info about further testing. Eventually the cars have to do clearance tests all over the system. I understand that the CTA will receive a total of ten cars and will test and run the cars in all types of service. Probably, well not probably you know full well...there'll be a grandstand presentation with the mayor struttin' about, but that probably won't happen until a full train of 5000s is on board, tested and accepted. If you're planning a photo shoot, you could ask a friendly local supervisor if a bulletin is out closing track 1 for testing between Howard and Clark JCT.

David Harrison
 #727174  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: The 5000s look good-but plain with no CTA logo yet.
What lines will be slated to receive them and how long will the 2200s have left?
Does the CTA plan on retiring the Boeing 2400 cars also in the near future?
MACTRAXX
 #727301  by Fan Railer

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: The 5000s look good-but plain with no CTA logo yet.
What lines will be slated to receive them and how long will the 2200s have left?
Does the CTA plan on retiring the Boeing 2400 cars also in the near future?
MACTRAXX
when enough of the 5000's come into service the 22's and the 24's will be retired. the 22's have until about 2012 and the 24's maybe 2014-2015.
 #727316  by byte

Maybe not. I've heard that the 2200s are in better shape than the 2400s. If the operating people have their way, the 2400s may go first.
 #727570  by Fan Railer

Chicagopcclcars wrote:I have learned that next week's testing will all be done at night...so no photography.

David Harrison
video would still work though, if anyone's up to it.
 #727657  by Chicagopcclcars

Fan Railer wrote:
Chicagopcclcars wrote:I have learned that next week's testing will all be done at night...so no photography.

David Harrison
video would still work though, if anyone's up to it.
That would have to be a really rabid fan.....2 to 5 am....in the dark, videography, talk about foamers, LOL. And how would you explain yourself to the locals who are customarily up and about at those times of the night, LOL. Plus you gotta find out when and where.

David Harrison
 #728391  by R36 Combine Coach

Fan Railer wrote:when enough of the 5000's come into service the 22's and the 24's will be retired. the 22's have until about 2012 and the 24's maybe 2014-2015.
The 2200s are now turning 40 (delivered in mid and late 1969 with the final units in early 1970). They are about the same age as the NYCT R42s (most phased out by now) or the MBTA 01500/01600s (expected to last through at least 2015).
 #728577  by Milwaukee_F40C

I've heard that the 2200s are in better shape than the 2400s. If the operating people have their way, the 2400s may go first.
This sounds like the debate those MTA people have between Budd R32's and St. Louis everything else (R38, R40, R42).

I would rather see the 2400's go first, but I bet the blinker doors on 2200's might be a big factor.
 #744710  by buddah

Nice photos, I believe even if the 2200s are in better shape they will be first to go as there not ADA compliant. With the ADA on CTA's rear end the 2200s will be pushed out of service first to unify the CTA system with all sliding door cars. the 2400 may have a better chance of sticking around longer if the red line does get its extension as a possible rebuilt again fleet for the line. I wish Bombardier would have made the 5000's look more like the 2200's, it would have been a nice retro look.
 #744717  by byte

Not a week goes by in the CTA offices where they don't hear that yet another 2400 lost its door relay in the midst of a trip, among other annoying problems, and the CTA's been managing just fine thus far with the 2200s' doors on the Blue Line with no complaints from any disability advocate groups. Given the agency's goals, if the 2400s are having failures at the higher rate I've been told, it's a no-brainer that they will go first, or at least the worst of the bunch. A handicapped-accessible railcar isn't much good if the doors won't open reliably.
 #773198  by F40CFan

Saw a 6-car test train today (5005-5006,5009-5012) on the Congress branch. The train headed east to the Morgan interlocking and then reversed ends and headed back west. Funny, on the eastbound trip, it made a "station stop" at Racine and opened and closed the doors opposite the platform before moving on. 5009-5010 have way oversized CTA logos under the motorman's windows that spill over onto the front of the car. Didn't have a camera as I was out running. I hope the LED destination signs were not on, because if they were, I couldn't see them.