Railroad Forums 

• New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#521895  by octr202

The Wellington set is still being stored out on the test track as of this morning. Looking at the test track down to Sullivan, it did look like it was less rusty than its been, but with the rain and gloom this morning is was pretty hard to tell. The cars don't appear to have moved much in the last couple days.

#521899  by Robert Paniagua

Well, I got 0709 again this morning from State till Bowdoin. ASA was working exceptional and the ride was smooth. Window had an ad poster, but I still got to see out front just fine, I stood the whole ride. My rating: ***** (5 stars)

#521904  by e-m00

octr202 wrote:The Wellington set is still being stored out on the test track as of this morning. Looking at the test track down to Sullivan, it did look like it was less rusty than its been, but with the rain and gloom this morning is was pretty hard to tell. The cars don't appear to have moved much in the last couple days.
I was leaving Wellington going inbound yesterday around 1 PM when the set was on the third track at the end of the platform. It pulled out at the same time the OL inbound did and then stopped before reaching the bridge. Not sure what they were doing with such a short run. :P

#521967  by sery2831

That's interesting to see them still testing while they have a train in service. The other test train has not been out since last weekend.

Also a side note/question... On NETransit the cars say they are coming from CAF in Elmira, NY. But originally they were being assembled by TTA(Bombardier contractor) of Hornell, NY in Kanona, NY. Does anyone know when this changed happened?

#522167  by diburning

sery2831 wrote:That's interesting to see them still testing while they have a train in service. The other test train has not been out since last weekend.

Also a side note/question... On NETransit the cars say they are coming from CAF in Elmira, NY. But originally they were being assembled by TTA(Bombardier contractor) of Hornell, NY in Kanona, NY. Does anyone know when this changed happened?
i'm not sure about the change, but I read in the Boston Metro that the new blue line trains need to be tested for a certain number of miles (I beleive it's 500) before they can enter revenue service. So, I guess EVERY single car needs to be tested on that track or on the blue line after hours.

#522171  by sery2831

The cars need 500 miles on them. The cars I talking about more than likely have passed the 500 mile requirement.

#522188  by dieciduej

The cars at Wellington are there for testing any software/hardware mods before the rest of the lot get a mod. Hate to update something across the group and find out they will only go in one direction. :P

It gives them a chance to make a mod and burn it in without having to wedge it in between regular service or in the dead of night.

JoeD
 #522316  by Head-end View

Hey Rob, how 'ya been? So you're confirming that you can see out the front on these new Blue Line cars, on the left side, just like on the Red Line cars? In the New York world of full-width cabs, that's good news. Thanks ! :-D

BTW, see my post in the NYC subway thread about my first ride on an R-160. :wink:

#522621  by Robert Paniagua

Yes, you can, Ian. They have railfan windows like the 0600s except that they are a little narrower than the older ones.

And yes, I'll take a look at the R160 thread, these new Blue Line cars are just like as long ashe IRT R142s but these are three feet shorter. Also, these ae great in the inside Head-End, you should take a look at some nerail photos and YouTube vides of these new cars

#524397  by Diverging Route

NETransit is now showing eight active cars:
0702/0703, 0708/0709 through 0712/0713

#524422  by Robert Paniagua

Yesterday Morning, I got 0709 yet again, ASA was fine, ride was smooth and everything was good. But not this morning, it was back to an older consist.

NETransit is now showing eight active cars:
0702/0703, 0708/0709 through 0712/0713

Good, this means that our chances for getting the newer consists will increase.

#525880  by sery2831

Has anyone seen 0702/0703 0712/0713 in service yet? It is reported they are active, but I have not seen them out yet.

#526284  by WonderlandMan

Both sets were out at the same time this afternoon. 4/17 - 4:00PM-ish