Railroad Forums 

• New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#517944  by CSX Conductor

Car # 0717 was on a flat-bed trailer @ Canaan, NY as of about 630/700pm this evening, they just keep on comin. :wink:

#519110  by cpontani

nev13 wrote:Does anyone know if they'll be out this weekend (Saturday 15th or Sunday 16th)?????
Another post said they should be working over the weekend. Any chance they'll be running this weekend? Still, I don't know if I'll get a ride on anything let alone the Blue Line.

#519134  by sery2831

These cars are in a normal operation. On the weekends they have been out but not all sets come out on the weekend. So there is a chance it will get a day of rest.

A test train was sighted this week during normal operating hours(no numbers)... So it looks like another set has been accepted and is getting to close to entering service.

#519166  by connartist88h

I saw 0702-0703 paired with 0712-0713 in testing on Tuesday night. It probably won't be too long until they are in service, and I imagine they'll keep the same pairing when they are.

#519181  by sery2831

Thanks for the numbers! If you see a 'test train' during service hours they are accepted by the T. So yes I would be looking for these cars to be in service soon.

#519203  by Robert Paniagua

Great! According to Jon Belcher's Netransit site, they're supposed to be arriving at a rate of 4 (two pairs) a month! And CSX Conductor, continue to let us now if more come at that Cannan, NY Truck Stop rest area, this is good news.

Maybe in my morning rides the chances of getting an 0700 will increase.

#519449  by The Collector at Court St

sery2831 Posted:

If you see a 'test train' during service hours they are accepted by the T.
Actually, very shortly you will see "Test Trains" breaking in (no passengers) anytime time off peak. This is part of the acceptance procedure.

#519804  by acela 2036

Does anyone know if the cars will be out today? Im coming into Boston for the afternoon

#519814  by e-m00

They're out much more often than not.

#519938  by sery2831

Please do not ask of the cars are running... Please assume they are!

On a side note there is a test train out this afternoon besides the cars in service. So there are some good photo ops today!

#519983  by GP40MC 1116

One recommendation I can make to people rather than assuming if they are out or just going on the fly is this. I went down on Wednesday to see if they were out and I headed to Government Center and I saw an inspector talking with the operator of a 0600 set before it left. I nicely walked up to him and asked if the new cars were out. He picked me out right their as a railfan and I laughed and agreed and he then told me I just missed them and they would be back within an hour or so. So my recommendation would be to either take a guess if they are out and go wait.. and don't just wait 15 minutes, because you would need to figure the entire route to Wonderland and back is at least an hour or so to get back to where you are. If you can find an inspector just ask them nicely, they have radios and they usually know whats up :P

#520828  by StevieC48

I took my 5 y/o son and got a ride on them yesterday and took a round trip. There was alos a test train running alos with 0702/03 in the consist missed the other #s. I noticed an intresting featue they have a working a/c plug for the workers on the B end on the right side of the door next to the seat. Its protected with a cover it opens with ease lol.

Also I noticed the absence of builder plates and car #'s that can be seen by all in plain sight. The only exception is the small #plates by the intercoms. Which in an emergency during rush hour and have a problem in the center of the car and you happen to call on your cell phone 911 or T police you wouldnt be able to give your train number your on so they can let the OCC know what is going on and get the location from them and let the emergency responders where to go to render aid.

That is just my 2 cents.. But it was an enjoyable trip getting my son into trains at a young age. lol :-D

#520890  by Robert Paniagua

Well, I finally got the new 0700s (#5 East Boston Tunnel) units, 0709 was the front car, which I got on from State Street at around 7:20AM bound for Bowdoin, there was the train driver along with a supervisor and another carman. I got to the railfan seat which had an ad like the red Line 01800s but I was able to stand right up to the window and get a great view out the front right over the ad. I even got to see how fast the engineer was doing, the speed indicator has very big numeral figures, which is great for me to see and a bright backlit, and I also got to pull on the grab bar.

I also did the R-142 message "Stand Clear of Closing Doors Please, (and then the Din Don door closing chime which sounds nearly the same as the 0700s chime), since these new cars remind me of NYCTA's IRT R142/R142A, only these Blue Line Cars are better than those, I must admit. Maybe they ought to put a six car set of these new Blue Line cars down the #2, #4, and #6 Lines to see how New York Straphangers would like these new Bluies.

#521659  by sery2831

Last night on my way home from work I spotted the pair at Wellington parked out on the end of the test track.

#521734  by octr202

They were still there this morning, up beyond the north end of the station. I almost didn't catch them as we went by (this was a little before 7:00 am).

That was the first time I've seen them out in at least a week or so, maybe longer.