Railroad Forums 

• Circus train speed limits

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#308621  by DutchRailnut

Circus train is 30 mph max on Metro North territory.

#310144  by UPRR engineer

The only time i saw them running was threw Rock Springs there buddy. Looked like they were running track speed threw that part. So there at least that fast buddy. :-D They might get up and run on the UP about 70?

#310376  by powerpro69

I thought UP was the Circus Railway, but I;m new, so what do I know

#310848  by CSX Conductor

On CSXT the Ringling Brothers trains operate at normal timetable passenger train speed.

#312930  by COEN77

CSX Conductor wrote:On CSXT the Ringling Brothers trains operate at normal timetable passenger train speed.
Yes it does. It's also the most avoided train on our property when it's in town. It's a long day and to many chiefs directing movement from local management to Ringling Brothers own trainmaster.
 #318326  by 2nd trick op

It might be noted that in the earlier days of railroading, there were more circuses; of necessity, most travelled by rail, and used older equipment downgraded from regular Class I service (as Ringling and Strates do to this day). That equipment might not always have been up to the standards desired by the host roads; hence the lower speeds. Many, if not most Employees' Timetables from the steam era show speed limits for circus trains in particular.