• Circus train speed limits

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Rockingham Racer

If you work on the railroad, what are they on your railroad?

by DutchRailnut

Circus train is 30 mph max on Metro North territory.

by UPRR engineer

The only time i saw them running was threw Rock Springs there buddy. Looked like they were running track speed threw that part. So there at least that fast buddy. :-D They might get up and run on the UP about 70?

by powerpro69

I thought UP was the Circus Railway, but I;m new, so what do I know

by CSX Conductor

On CSXT the Ringling Brothers trains operate at normal timetable passenger train speed.

by COEN77

CSX Conductor wrote:On CSXT the Ringling Brothers trains operate at normal timetable passenger train speed.
Yes it does. It's also the most avoided train on our property when it's in town. It's a long day and to many chiefs directing movement from local management to Ringling Brothers own trainmaster.
  by 2nd trick op

It might be noted that in the earlier days of railroading, there were more circuses; of necessity, most travelled by rail, and used older equipment downgraded from regular Class I service (as Ringling and Strates do to this day). That equipment might not always have been up to the standards desired by the host roads; hence the lower speeds. Many, if not most Employees' Timetables from the steam era show speed limits for circus trains in particular.