Railroad Forums 

• Work on the Lodi branch?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#259024  by Steve F45

sir ray, my apologies. when you said park i thought you were refering to the one parallel to rt.46 on the boulevard just south of 7-11.

#259048  by Sir Ray

2005Vdub wrote:sir ray, my apologies. when you said park i thought you were refering to the one parallel to rt.46 on the boulevard just south of 7-11.
No need to apologize, cause I think that is the one I'm referring to???
Let's make it easy (for me at least);
Pleasantville Ave (which is Garabaldi in Lodi) runs roughly East-West from Lodi border to Polifly, and has among other things the Royal Towers apartments astride it. At the intersection of Summit Ave (which becomes Boulevard, I guess at the Hasbrouck Heights border - man, you Jerseyites like to change road names), you have a 7/11 at the Southeast corner...south of that, you have a small brick building, and south of that, but north of LongView (and running East-West), there is a long, mostly tree-lined park (well, mostly a line of trees and bushes with a strip of lawn to the south of that - it's about twice the width of Longview, if that). And that has gotta be the ROW. If there is a long narrow park somewhere else, then I misrepresented myself...

#259077  by Steve F45

i concur with the park now. Im at work in the pd and checked out county map and thats it. Runs from boulevard east to rt.17.

#262927  by CRRNJ878

Looks like they have worked on the ballast and have almost completed the work in lodi. The track looks great from Gregg st. The lows and highs have seemed to be leveled out, as well. This is a stark comparison to how the track looks on the rest of the branch (i.e. near essex st)

#262989  by Sir Ray

CRRNJ878 wrote:Looks like they have worked on the ballast and have almost completed the work in lodi. The track looks great from Gregg st. The lows and highs have seemed to be leveled out, as well. This is a stark comparison to how the track looks on the rest of the branch (i.e. near essex st)
Any indications that they plan to continue work on the rest of the branch.
And (although probably not, as you would have mentioned it), any ideas as to why they are doing this?

#263027  by CRRNJ878

sir ray...still no idea on what they are looking to do with this branch...I was wondering the same thing, regarding working on the rest of the branch. It is weird when ya think they have the end of the branch looking fantastic, while the rest of the branch where trains actually have to travel, looks horrendous...who knows....more surprises possibly??

#263052  by RichM

I have a wild-ass guess that there may have been money allocated for restoration of the tracks when the new storm sewer lines were installed in the area, it may explain why the quality of what was done was so superior to what they typically have done on their own. It may also be that NYS&W sat on the money until they had a potential use for the area. If you look at the roadbed and the track along 287, you would never believe it's the same railroad that crosses Maywood and Rochelle Park... paid for by your tax generosity.

#271672  by Dougster

Any news on this topic? Haven't heard anything and other than the trackwork appearing to be complete, nothing doing. Was this just the end product of the flood tunnel project?

Doug

#271701  by Steve F45

appears maybe so. i have not seen anything done since they laid ballast down there.

#273035  by Steve F45

i drove down today after getting an oil change. they laid somekind of fill over the tracks from the end to about maybe 100 feet east and then compacted it down. Its level with the rails. Kinda strange.

#273064  by RichM

this sounds like it's for the circus then... anything scheduled in this area in the next few months?

#273068  by Steve F45

not sure. but i've never heard of a circus in lodi.

#273083  by RichM

I'm sorry, I meant at Meadowlands... at one time the Ringling Brothers cars were stored there when the circus was at the arena. I think with all the siding work on the Pascack Valley side, this may be an option again... but it's just a wild guess, assuming something may be walking around there.

#273317  by Steve F45

well with the new passing siding, where they'de keep the RBB is a good question. i dont think njt would want those elephants walking thru that new station when its finished. :-)

#280137  by Sirsonic

Sirsonic wrote:Rumor has it that the shopped cars that are repaired on a couple tracks in the yard at Passaic Jct will be moved to a new facility (if you can call it that, it will be all outside like the current operation) on the end of the Lodi Industrial. This is being done to allow more room in PC for customer cars.
Got word that the first the shops should be headed down there tonight 8/10.