Railroad Forums 

• Work on the Lodi branch?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#242685  by alewifebp

That's cool to see. But, they must improve the track around Essex Street, because it is in very sorry shape, particularly around the Jax car wash on Essex. It is covered in dirt right now, and the equipment would have to leave the rail to pass this portion.

#243014  by BlockLine_4111

Is the run-around spur still there between Jax and Lodi Jct.?

Why did they ever put a protected crossing in for those apartments but not Essex Street? Think about it......................................................

Anyone remember the small spur opposite Jax across Essex Street?

Wasn't there a Rickell there and a sub/pizzeria called Tri-boro??

#243016  by Steve F45

If you look down the line from essex you can still see 2 tracks in place. Not sure the conditions. How can you get there by the apts?

#243084  by BlockLine_4111

IIRC a lot of garbage and trash strewn all over the tracks and area in general here. Maybe some cattails too growing nearby? It has been quite a long time since I have been in those areas.

#243286  by Steve F45

Well i drove down again earlier. They switch is about 90% assembled. Im not sure if its going in there or it was just assembled there and going to be installed on the original track. But there is a new switch throw installed too. But judging where this piece of track is, it looks as if there is a new customer. There is a brand new building across from the track work. I didn't get a good look at it but i'll try later on.

#243358  by Steve F45

i went past again to take a better look. I have no clue where that switch would go. Unless its replacing track right next to it to creat a lil siding who knows. But seeing this got me wondering if the concrete pipes they put in to control flooding would be able to support the weight of a freight car let alone an engine.

#243967  by alewifebp

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Is the run-around spur still there between Jax and Lodi Jct.?

Why did they ever put a protected crossing in for those apartments but not Essex Street? Think about it......................................................

Anyone remember the small spur opposite Jax across Essex Street?

Wasn't there a Rickell there and a sub/pizzeria called Tri-boro??
I never understood the protected crossing deal either.

The Tri-boro is still there, and is right across the tracks from Jax. Where there was a Rickel is now the Home Depot.

See the area in more detail here:
http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=aN.40.887 ... i%20Branch_

#244252  by Steve F45

Drove down again, they have moved the switch they were assembling into place. And did a little brush clearing and leveling further west. Makes me wonder if they will install a 3rd track with the clearing they did.

Here's some pics.
Looking east towards 17 from dux paints
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=366400

Looking west towards Garibaldi Ave.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=366401

New switch installed
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=366399

Where the tracks will go
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=366402

New track and switch
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=366403

#244273  by CJPat

There is an old siding that crosses over Gregg Street that originated east of where the new switch is located. I believe the next "original" siding that crossed Gregg St did not occur until west of Industrial Rd (a bit further westr than where this new switch is located) at the factory just before the DMV (they used to receive tank cars in the '90's).

I would speculate that the new switch is going to create a parallel track to the exisiting. That graded area looks like it could hold 3 parallel tracks.

The track could possibly cross Garibaldi, but who would they service? I don't remember the exact nature of the business on the east side of Garibaldi, but I don't think it was the type that could make use of rail. Of course, its been 7 yrs since I was in that neck of the woods and business owners do change.

I sincerely doubt the track would get near Rt 46.

#244276  by Steve F45

Cj, all tracks crossing gregg st. are now removed or covered up. The last building closest to the dmv is a car importer/exporter or some sort.

#244994  by Steve F45

No new work done today, some ballast spread on new track put in. Alot more ties on the side.

Someone had mentioned on another board that maybe the company that did the sewer work is just replacing the track's they ripped up. Why would they do this if its not beeing used anymore?? Also i just noticed today on the light stantions at teh crossing that a sign saying "EXEMPT" on them. I've never seen this till today.

#245162  by riffian

2005Vdub wrote:Someone had mentioned on another board that maybe the company that did the sewer work is just replacing the track's they ripped up. Why would they do this if its not beeing used anymore?? Also i just noticed today on the light stantions at teh crossing that a sign saying "EXEMPT" on them. I've never seen this till today.
I think this is probably closer to the situation. NYS&W special order 101.1 states "cars are not to be pushed ahead of the engine over Route 17 crossing without permission of the division manager." Obviously with the siding removed at the end of track, they were forced to shove cars going at least in one direction. Restoring the siding obviates that need.

#245164  by CRRNJ878

hmm interesting...knowing rt17 very well I can defenitely see why that order would be in effect....But, I gotta think that the work that they are doing in Lodi is for more than putting the siding back. They layed stone down all the way almost to Garibaldi and there is a large amount of ties sitting there, much more than would be needed to re-build a siding. We shall see.

#245338  by Steve F45

thats what im saying. if its no longer used really except that 1 company why would you need to put stuff back that was ripped up during the sewer construction if you dont need it? Seems like a waste of money.

Drove down again today, nothing has changed since they put in the switch.

#245804  by CRRNJ878

As of Saturday afternoon there was a NYS&W gondola parked on the track near Elio's....