Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#189542  by Launcher

I was pleasantly surprised when my fare card went down $1 instead of $2. I'm from out of town ...I thought my card or the turnstile was broken. Then I heard the news on Q104.3. The DJ was ecstatic at "getting something for nothing... for a change."

Some of you skeptics call it a wasted $50 million on MTA's part. But to me, I see this as free advertising. They didn't have to pay the classic rock DJ to remind listeners to use the subway on half price weekends. Same goes for me telling all my Philadelphia and NY/NJ friends about my experience. All good publicity for the subway system.

In Philadelphia, SEPTA will frequently give out a pair of free one-way tickets to each monthly trailpass buyer. They make it look pretty like a Christmas present, but their hope is to also gain your friend as a rider as you go in to town with them to shop. MTA took a much greater step. Weekend trains being less than full (mostly), they are not losing anything if they gain passengers at half price. I hope it works out.