Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#177174  by 4 Express

I'm going to be traveling a lot in the next 2 months!

#177268  by arrow

I like the $76 Holiday pass valid 11/23-12/31...that's 1 free week, it's better than nothing!

Perhaps they are trying to soften us up so that they can increase the fare to $2.50 on January 1 :P

#177581  by 7 Train

It's unlikely the cash fare will increase on January 1 (or anytime soon), since the unlimited card fares increased in February and if the Transportation Bond Act (which provides state and federal funding to the MTA) passes on November 8, that will certainly rule out a new fare hike.

#177686  by RTA

Although any fare reduction is welcomed to our wallets, I'm not sure if this is a wise move by the MTA. The authority has some hefty debt to pay off, shouldn't the monies be used for that purpose? Also, at a time when the authority is asking tax payers to approve the bond issue, it is showing everyone that they have no idea what money they have in the first place.

#177715  by jtr1962

The cost of this to the MTA is $50 million not assuming any increase in ridership. My guess is that they'll get a big enough boost in ridership to more than make up for it. In a city of 8 million people, all you need is for half of them to decide to go out one day of each weekend for the month in question when they otherwise wouldn't have and you've suddenly got $64 million extra, more than they claim they'lll be losing. In general, off-peak and weekend fare decreases often bring in more money, not less, because people make a lot of discretionary trips they wouldn't have otherwise made. I'll probably be making a few weekend trips I wouldn't have made otherwise because of this. They should consider making this permanent, and expanding the dollar fare to off-peak weekday hours as well.

As for the MTA's money woes, the problem is that 70% of their costs are for personnel and they need to get these costs under control. Their benefit and pension packages are just too generous, making them unaffordable long-term. They also need to cut personnel where possible. One person trains are a good idea. Token clerks should be completely phased out as well. The union loves to use scare tactics about how unsafe getting rid of token clerks will make the subways but it isn't true. If they're really concerned, then instead of a token clerk on each station who can call for help just get rid of the token clerk and have a cop who can help. Since many stations now have both anyway, you'll be saving a lot of money.

#177717  by RTA

I just get very worried, that with all the expansion needs of the system, that the MTA is not throwing monies away. You might be right that this might actually be a financial plus for the Authority. Does anyone know how much the LIRR and MNCR have gained through the introduction of the CityTicket?
On a related note, hopefully this program will take a bunch of cars off the streets during the busy holiday season.

#177894  by F40

I am excited about the temporary fare discount as well.

But one thing that puzzled me that was in the NY Times article is the supposed "$928 million" surplus of the MTA (or the subway??). The fare decrease will cost $50 million, and the MTA is planning to spend $400 million to pay for some sort of pension investment according to the article, all coming from the "$928 million" surplus.

If anyone can clarify it'll be greatly appreciated.

#178474  by F40

So I guess the turnstiles can be changed back and forth to subtract $1 instead of $2 easily between weekends and weekdays? How is the "price changing" on the turnstiles done?

#178706  by RTA

I know I'm missing something here, but if the MTA has an extra 700 to 900 million dollars(the ny times has it at 928 million), couldn't and shouldn't this money be used to pay a large chunk of the next MTA 5 year capital plan? Does it make sense for them to be adding another 1.47 billion dollars in debt with the Transportation Bond Act in November? Also, where did this money come from? If they have a surplus this year, will they have one next year?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a little confused on this.
 #179209  by Allan

From NY1

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/NewsBeats/transit.jsp

"Governor Pataki Wants MTA To Put Brakes On Holiday Fare Discount

October 26, 2005

Governor George Pataki is demanding the MTA put the brakes on its half-fare-for-the-holiday plan, saying the agency's surplus would be better spent on security and building a new rail link to Lower Manhattan, The Post has learned.

From Thanksgiving through New Year's, the plan would reduce subway and bus fares to $1 on weekends and all week long between Christmas and New Year's.

"Encouraging the use of mass transit and attracting more visitors to the city during the holiday season is always a good idea," Pataki told The Post in a statement.

"However, the surplus should be prioritized to ensure the safety, reliability and future financial stability of our transportation infrastructure."

Pataki, who appoints a majority of the MTA board, has expressed his feelings about the fare cut to the agency's leaders. The board is expected to take up the fare discounts at its meeting Thursday. "

#180325  by F40

And to the riders' delight, the proposal was passed.

#186641  by arrow

I just got my 41-day Holiday Metrocard today, I wonder how many they have since they said a "limited amount".

#188394  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Yes-today the 41-day Holiday Metrocard becomes valid. It is good until midnight January 1,2006 and does NOT expire on Dec.31! There is now price variations as well as Metrocard price discounts in the past-if you ride private bus lines such as Green Bus the fares now are $1.50 peak,$1.00 off-peak. Peak fare is charged between 6 and 10am and 3 and 7 pm. You are always charged peak fare with a Metrocard but I have used Metrocards with a buck or fifty cents on them(two at a time or the balance in cash)and have had no problem. One dollar O/P will get you a Metrocard bus transfer but will not get you on the subway. When you pay the $1.50 fare,when you enter the subway fifty cents further is taken off your card to reach the two dollar fare. Remember when Metrocards were introduced back in the mid 90s? When the fare was $1.25 if you rode on weekends from a Metrocard-equipped station the fare was just a buck! - meaning there was precedent to this type of discount. It is to be seen how well this type of discount is received but the TA expects record ridership for this period. A permanant thing could be the dollar fare on weekends but the TA in my mind will be reluctant to extend this to the weekdays O/P in my opinion. MACTRAXX

#188703  by arrow

The card is good until midnight January 2nd, so you get another extra day to use it.