Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Long Island 7285

Oh on CSXs side. I beleive thoes are the West Of Hudson MN bomb cars that are going to be re built for East of Hudson Service.

by nick11a

Long Island 7285 wrote:Oh on CSXs side. I beleive thoes are the West Of Hudson MN bomb cars that are going to be re built for East of Hudson Service.
Rebuilt? Why? They should be compatible in their current form. And also, I hope they keep the horns on the cab cars. It will be cool to hear them on those Shoreliners on East of Hudson Service. There cool and real loud. I can recall one knocking my socks off late at night in Summit, NJ two summers ago.

by MN Jim

They're not compatible. Different braking systems, different cab signal systems, and other differences that Dutch can elaborate on. Also, they are in dire need of an interior rehab, which they'll get at the same time.

Jim

by DutchRailnut

The Cab signal if still installed on those cab cars should be compatible. There are however changes to be made in wiring, Pantograph up down to be changed to Electric/diesel mode for example.
All key switches need to be changed on door panels and electric lockers, NJT uses differet keys than MNCR.
The Phasing on HEP is suposedly diferent, I don't believe it, is but you never know.
The trucks need rebuild including addition of Disk brakes to the tread brakes.
All seating needs to be changed, half cars are currently empty.
My suggestion paint window band green, put long distance 2 x 2 seating in them and get ready for Albany service :-)

by 4 Express

MN Jim wrote:They're not compatible. Different braking systems, different cab signal systems, and other differences that Dutch can elaborate on. Also, they are in dire need of an interior rehab, which they'll get at the same time.

Jim
Then why did I see Comet II's on the Hudson line?

by DutchRailnut

The Comet IIs you saw are stored not used.
MNCR's cars are called shoreliners and are wired and outfitted different than NJT type cars.
The MNCR comets were all part of NJT orders.

by 4 Express

DutchRailnut wrote:The Comet IIs you saw are stored not used.
MNCR's cars are called shoreliners and are wired and outfitted different than NJT type cars.
The MNCR comets were all part of NJT orders.
I didn't state that it was used, I know that they are stored.

by DutchRailnut

A source told me today the west of Hudson cars including the Port Jervis Comet 1a's are probably heading to Frontier industries in Ohio for recycling(into soda cans)