Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by 4 Express

Will MNCR allow you to go inside the cabs of the different rail cars?
Last edited by 4 Express on Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Terminal Proceed

Go to the open house and find out.

by 4 Express

Terminal Proceed wrote:Go to the open house and find out.
I found out anyways.
2005 HARMON SHOP OPEN HOUSE
  by DAC

Hi,

Sad to say that this Open House, will not have any AMCUs.
  by oddball

DAC wrote:Hi,

ohhh i thought you were gonna say it was canceled! i hope theres a few fl9s layin around though...or even partially cut up starships..
  by 4 Express

DAC wrote:Hi,

I know there's going to be no AMCUs but are ACMU's going to be there? :P

by njtmnrrbuff

Sorry to say that I will not be there. My aunt and I will be going to Perth Amboy for some non-railfan related business. However, we are going via one of the least friendly commuter railroads in the NY area.

by Alcochaser

Last year to see an FL9 possibly?

by njtmnrrbuff

I will be on the fantrip.

by dc700

RailBus63 wrote:How is the Open House organized? Is it guided tours? What do you typically get to see?

Jim
It's always worth seeing ( it is free after all ). They have some guided
tours but really you can just walk in and look around. They do as good a job as any museum. Most of the major depts. with in the railroad set up some kind of display ( power, machine shop , customer service , track and signal .... ) and the people that staff them are ready willing and able to answer questions.

They tend to have some trinkets to give away and lots of locs. and rolling stock to view and enter. Come early, despite the size of the shop it can get crowded. 8-)

by li7039

can you walk around the yard and do they de engerizr the third rail for this event

by dc700

li7039 wrote:can you walk around the yard and do they de engerizr the third rail for this event
The indoor facility is generally open , they mask off (yellow tape) the
routes they don't want you using. The outside is much more restricted, but they set up some demos on the north and south side of the facility.

by Otto Vondrak

Just remember that this is not a railfan event, but something geared more towards the general public that doesn't know much about trains. That said, it's an interesting event and worth attending. You can't beat the admission price. Also, this might be your last year to visit the original Harmon Shop structures...

-otto-

by 4 Express

Can anybody who has been at the various Open Houses in the past years say if the Open House provided food? If they did, how much did the food cost? Because I just want to be ready for what might be ahead of me.

by 9C1LT1

Hi 4 Express,

Yes, the Open House does provide food. Usually located just outside the main entrance to the Harmon Shop. I think the price was about average and the food was good as well!

-Barry