Railroad Forums 

• Prefernce of Out of Service Insurance Providers

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Which insurance provider do you prefer?

Locomotive Engineers & Conductors Mutual Protective Association
33%
Brotherhood's Relief & Compensation Fund
67%

#157487  by Guest

I don't think the f'up insurance is a good deal. I opted not to purchase it.

The big print giveth, the fine print taketh away.

-r

#157489  by jg greenwood

razor wrote:I don't think the f'up insurance is a good deal. I opted not to purchase it.

The big print giveth, the fine print taketh away.

-r
No shove-out whatsoever razor? Man that's confidence!

#158416  by freshmeat

Here is my question. All replys speak about value in the coverage. How about service if you are held out, fired or whatever?

Anyone with experience?

Thanks in advance,
Freshmeat

#158428  by SteelWheels21

I have heard from both sides of people who have been fired and had a hard time collecting their money.

something I also found out that I'll share, your money is based on your previous year's coverage from the time of the incident. You'll hear guys talk about upping their insurance to the max then running a red block...it doesn't quite work like that.

I'm a BRCF member because the rep here made himself available to me at a very early stage and gave me lots of nice stuff. I never even saw the LECMPA rep until 9 months into my career.

#158533  by SuoLoco

SteelWheels21 said "
something I also found out that I'll share, your money is based on your previous year's coverage from the time of the incident. You'll hear guys talk about upping their insurance to the max then running a red block...it doesn't quite work like that."
I do not know what the policy or practice is of the other companies but I'll give you a scenario with the BR&CF

Let's Say you have been a BR&CF member for 5 years at $99.00 per day paying $297 yearly. So you are now protected for 360 days per incident. You wish to up your protection to $201. You send in an application and a check for the difference between $99.00 and $201. If you run a red block the next day after your check was received and application processed and accepted to increase to $201 daily benefits. You will be now be paid $201 daily for the first 250 days and $99.00 for the remaining 110 days if held out for a total of 360 days.

#170201  by Engineer Spike

Railhead was formed by a guy in Galesburg, IL on BNSF. There were some early cases where guys got into it with him because he didn't pay. He must have felt that the conditions were violated.
Railhead did do some good things. I think that they had a one time payout for rule G or insubordination, at about $100/day. At the time it came out, I was working for about 3 years. I had BRCF. I could not get good rates because I had under 3 years experience. The Railhead $200/ day made BRCF rethink their rate structure.
I let my insurance drop about 5 years ago. My company gives points instead. Only major violations get time.