Railroad Forums 

• Prefernce of Out of Service Insurance Providers

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Which insurance provider do you prefer?

Locomotive Engineers & Conductors Mutual Protective Association
33%
Brotherhood's Relief & Compensation Fund
67%
 #83963  by CSX Conductor

Any fellow railroaders out there care to vice their opinion as to which out of service insurance company is better, Brother-hood Relief & Compensation Fund, or Locomotive Engineers & Conductors Mutual Protective Association?

UTU

#84621  by slchub

Hey CSX, how about the UTU JI? LOL.

Its a toss up. You ask 50 guys, you get 25 for BRCF and 25 for LECMPA. I carry LECMPA as I pay the annual premium up front which is less expensive anyway. Now I only wish the MTO would fire me and allow me to collect instead of giving me a level and a ticket to the rules class for a day!

#84663  by Santa Fe Sucks

Everyone I work with has said they're all (UTU, LE&CMPA, BRCF) pretty good. I use LE&CMPA myself as it's not very expensive and most of the guys I know use it.

#84686  by jg greenwood

Been with the BR&CF for years. Fortunately, only once have I had to collect, full amount paid with no problems. What's amazing is the amount of employees with no shove-out insurance. Like Master-Card, don't leave home without it!

#84948  by CSX Conductor

Thanks guys.

I believe that both the BR&CF as well as LE&CMPA both offer discounts for paying annually in one full payment.

I never knew the UTU had any type of OOS insurance, but since they are in bed with the railroads I would definately not go with them :P

#84955  by jg greenwood

CSX Conductor wrote:Thanks guys.

I believe that both the BR&CF as well as LE&CMPA both offer discounts for paying annually in one full payment.

I never knew the UTU had any type of OOS insurance, but since they are in bed with the railroads I would definately not go with them :P
BR&CF does indeed offer lower rates for an annual payment vs: monthly, semi-annual payments.
 #89005  by Noel Weaver

With the Brotherhood's Relief and Compensation Fund you will also get a
payment from them when you retire. I can't recall how much I got but I
think it was around $1500.00.
Noel Weaver

#89463  by thebigc

CSX Conductor wrote: I never knew the UTU had any type of OOS insurance, but since they are in bed with the railroads I would definately not go with them :P
Really??? Why do you say that, if you don't mind?

#89579  by CSX Conductor

because they are in bed with the company. Because they fought the BLE for the contracts for the remote control, instead of doing the right thing and fighting the remote altogether. :(
 #156957  by SuoLoco

:P The BR&CF is the best organization in my opinion. For only $297.00 a year I am protected for $99.00 dollars a day 7 days a week, plus I have the $50,000.00 accidental death and dismemberment for free.

The LE&CMPA would be my second choice if something ever happened to the BR&CF.

#157060  by RRDude68

Went 7 years without any OOS insurance on Conrail, then Bubba came callin, and I've had it ever since. Haven't needed it yet, but know lots of guys that wish they did. I use BRCF but have heard good things about LEMP... :wink: whatever, as well.

#157092  by GOLDEN-ARM

I noticed you also didn't show RAILHEAD insurance. They were formed by a group of UP and BNSF engineers, to cover engineers, and trainmen, at a more realistic daily rate, of $200.00 per day, available to members as soon as first payment is received. No waiting years, for your covered amount to go up to the full rate, and all members pay the same amount, regardless of time in service. I used it once, and the cash came in, as promised, and on time. Seems a shame to leave these folks, out of the poll. I dropped BRCF to join RAILHEAD, and the higher coverage amount they provide. Regards :wink:
 #157158  by SuoLoco

:P The BR&CF also has income protection program of up to $201.00 per day. A new member is covered for 250 days per incident. And a member with five years of membership is covered for 365 days per incident. This protection cost only $67.00 per month or $603.00 if paid yearly. Plus you get the $50,000.00 Accidental Death and Dismemberment free. And as one of the other members here said earlier, don't forget the retirement check.Just a note, the BR&CF is not an insurance company. They are a non-profit organization run by railroaders voted in by the membership. I am not sure, but can any of the other insurance companies make the same claim? They also support all the rail labor groups with thir time and money.
 #157160  by SuoLoco

There are many good choices when it comes to Job Protection but my first choice is still the BR&CF. LE&CMPA would be my second choice. They have dividend program that can save you money if you never get into trouble and keep a clean record. For some reason this year they could not pay their dividend to their members. Even with this in mind, they still make a strong second.

#157311  by jg greenwood

Speaking of the BR&CF, received a Code of Federal Regulations 49 Part:240-Qualification and Certification of Locomotive Engineers from them today. The one and hopefully only time I've needed them they came through; can't offer any better endorsement than that.