Railroad Forums 

• Class I Heritage Locomotive Programs and Sightings

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1629409  by Engineer Spike

I saw the CSX Contrail tribute unit up close recently. I was on a transfer run from D&H Kenwood, to Selkirk. They seemed to be having a family day. In the area by the former administration building, they had carnival rides set up. The Contrail unit was pulling a theater inspection car around the yard.
 #1633880  by Jeff Smith

ACL Unit: Trsains.com
CSX unveils Atlantic Coast Line heritage locomotive

The unit, No. 1871, is the seventh locomotive in the railroad’s growing heritage fleet

#1640283  by Jeff Smith

New York Central (as noted above) CSX page: https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-us/ ... ge-series/

January 3, 2024 - A CSX locomotive commemorating the New York Central Railroad has become the eighth unit in CSX’s heritage locomotive fleet.

Designated CSX 1853 in recognition of the year the NYC was founded, the newest heritage unit was repainted in a special design combining the current CSX colors with the traditional gray and white of the NYC system. The NYC heritage unit has been placed into regular revenue service, proudly carrying the NYC colors across the CSX network.

All of the heritage unit paint schemes have been created at the CSX Waycross Locomotive Shop, where employees performed the challenging work of applying the unique designs. Click below to watch a video of CSX 1853 rolling out of the Waycross shop and hear employees describe the 22-day effort to repaint the unit.

At its height, the New York Central system encompassed more than 11,000 track miles and provided vital transportation service between New England and the Midwest. It merged with the Pennsylvania Railroad to become the Penn Central in 1968 and later became part of Conrail.

A majority of former NYC lines were acquired by CSX in 1998, and today CSX employees continue to operate trains across the primary NYC routes that have been carrying freight and supporting the U.S. economy for more than a century.
 #1640330  by NHV 669

And now the Family Lines unit is out, CSXT 1972:

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/LXZzrz ... tid=oFDknk
Screenshot_20240310_092538_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240310_092538_Facebook.jpg (301.07 KiB) Viewed 561 times