Railroad Forums 

• Class I Heritage Locomotive Programs and Sightings

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1621962  by Jeff Smith

Came across this article on a CSX B&O heritage unit: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... portation/
Baltimore & Ohio heritage locomotive debuts on CSX Transportation

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – CSX Transportation has painted an ES44AH in a Baltimore & Ohio heritage livery.

The locomotive, previously CSX No. 3059, now is CSX No. 1827 in honor of the year B&O was founded. The locomotive made its debut yesterday on the point of Waycross, Ga.-Birmingham, Ala., manifest train M646-10. Repainting of the unit had just been completed at the railroad’s Waycross shops.
Of course, NS has a program as well: http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en ... tives.html

Here's a video on the CSX program:
 #1621995  by MEC407

CSX unveiled their first heritage unit yesterday: CSXT 1827, a General Electric ES44AH wearing a Baltimore & Ohio paint scheme. Video from CSX's official YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vwGxwhssBA
 #1623794  by ExCon90

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:31 pm How say Uncle Warren get with the program.
I believe he has a reputation of not being a micromanager but who tells his people you know the results I want, you manage it. Is this a case where he might not want to inject himself? (Considering who we're talking about, I can hardly say put in his two cents' worth.)
 #1626054  by Gilbert B Norman

ExCon90 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:06 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:31 pm How say Uncle Warren get with the program.
I believe he has a reputation of not being a micromanager
Point indeed noted, Mr. Ex Con, and with my concurrence.

So let's modify such to reflect Uncle Warren picking up that "honker" on his desk and saying " Katie, the other guys are now all recognizing where they came from; think we could make something like that work on our little railroad"?
 #1626102  by ExCon90

I think if he sees a possibility that it would enhance BNSF's standing in public opinion he just might go for it. As an "outsider" to the industry he might more readily appreciate the importance of favorable public opinion when various legislative proposals hit the HVAC -- which seems to be happening as we speak.
 #1626115  by Gilbert B Norman

Point duly noted, Mr. ExCon.

Even if Topper is "taking the whipping" is the court of public opinion (and for an incident resulting in no personal injuries with the environmental matters under control), Uncle Warren has had a "spill or two" of bad stuff, and further two fatal derailment incidents (Joplin and Mendon) in as many years involving Amtrak trains.
 #1628066  by John_Perkowski

Let’s be blunt…

Mr Buffett is more concerned about what BNSF brings to the corporate coffers of Berkshire Hathaway. He is perfectly willing to let the managers of BNSF invest where they need to in order to keep track and equipment up to par. In the days of BN, it was routine for me to hear flat wheels on trains. These days, that doesn’t happen.

Paint is nowhere near a priority.