Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1639375  by Bracdude181

rrbluesman wrote:I have been writing a study regarding the restoration on the Southern Division for Freight and Passenger Service. The cost of repair per mile is going to range from $2.5 to $3.5 million. Between Woodmansie and Elm, while the terrain is fairly level, the forest has reclaimed the ROW and there are seemingly unending culverts and small to medium size wooden bridge that will need to be removed and replaced. Fortunately there will not be a lot of need for Industrial Sidings but there will be a need for new and restored passing sidings and public delivery tracks.
Interesting. Did you account for ptc installation costs? What standard of track are we talking when fixing up the line? Class 3? 4?

It should also be noted that, at least between Red Bank and Lakewood, NJT had once said it would cost around 110 million to bring that section up to standards, build stations, and install catenary wires and a signal system.

Adding wires all the way down brings that cost estimate WAY up.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk
 #1639413  by rrbluesman

The preliminary estimates in the study (at this time) are based on restoring the track, trackbed, and bridges/culverts to no less than class III. There is no consideration for catenary in the study; PTC, stations, signaling, etc. are different budget line items that are ongoing in development.
 #1639414  by Bracdude181

Gotcha. Class 3 would actually be a good standard to get up to if nothing else. 60 mph passenger 40 mph freight I believe? Not blazingly fast but not at all slow either.

Come to think of it I think the max speed while in use during the old days was 75 between Winslow and Lakehurst? At least before the track conditions began to suffer prior to the overhauls in 1975.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

#1639449  by JohnFromJersey

rrbluesman wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:30 pm The preliminary estimates in the study (at this time) are based on restoring the track, trackbed, and bridges/culverts to no less than class III. There is no consideration for catenary in the study; PTC, stations, signaling, etc. are different budget line items that are ongoing in development.
If the route gets used by freight, catenary will greatly restrict height potential on the route if freight uses it. If the route is freight only, you likely won't need PTC.

I am curious, what is the goal of the study? Is this a personal project, or will your study be used for legal/business purposes regarding the current state of the Southern, and its future?
Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:34 pm Gotcha. Class 3 would actually be a good standard to get up to if nothing else. 60 mph passenger 40 mph freight I believe? Not blazingly fast but not at all slow either.

Come to think of it I think the max speed while in use during the old days was 75 between Winslow and Lakehurst? At least before the track conditions began to suffer prior to the overhauls in 1975.
Honestly, if the powers that be wanted it, you could make the Southern Division HSR. It's not grade-separated, but the route goes through quite literally the middle of no where and does not have many crossings whatsoever, you'd have to worry about wildlife, hikers, and trespassers however. All that being said, I doubt there would ever be a reason to make Winslow-Woodmansie a HSR route, unless Atlantic City makes a dramatic comeback in the next couple of decades, and there is interest in a high(er) speed route from NYC to Atlantic City, like there was with the Blue Comet
Railcar1 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:38 pm I would find that speed hard to believe for a branch line. Even PRSL only had 40-45 for freight.
The Southern Division was not a branch line. It was a CNJ mainline, and continued to be a mainline under Conrail, until they severed the Southern between Winslow and Woodmansie in the 80's. There were a lot of through-trains from North Jersey to South Jersey via this route.