Railroad Forums 

• Event Trains (Barclay and MSG/Penn)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1097588  by Backshophoss

Believe the Circus runs a small fleet of school type shuttle busses between the train and the show site,
when setup at a venue like the Coliseum,the Garden and so on.
VD yard could hold up to 56 passenger cars with the rest of the flat cars layed up at Pond or LIC yard.

However what ever normally lays up at VD would need to Deadhead back to Jamaca when the circus is in town
at Flatbush ave
 #1097738  by RGlueck

May I suggest "Sexually Transmitted Disease Yard" as a new name? It's inclusive and covers straight, gay, and lesbian, people who pass through the yard.
Sensitivity, boys and girls! At least they haven't placed a "hump" in that yard.
 #1097769  by Insideman

This is a funny idea; Circus train taking up space in one of NYAR's already too small yards for any length of time...
 #1097780  by BobLI

Just remember to provide huge amounts of security if you park the circus train in pond or the upper level. The "local youth" would have a field day going through the cars!
 #1097864  by Doc Emmet Brown

Someone mentioned people trickle out after an event. Not so with the Rangers. Right after a Rangers game the next trains to various destinations are swamped. Works the same for most concerts at the garden. For some reason, even though the knicks usually draw a big crowd, the trains are not as bad, I guess more people take the subway after a knicks game. There have already been concerts at the barclay center, how where the trains?
 #1097881  by hrfcarl

Insideman wrote:This is a funny idea; Circus train taking up space in one of NYAR's already too small yards for any length of time...
Well not NYAR, but could the Circus train go down the Bay Ridge Branch and store at PA NYNJ Rail's yard at 65th Street. Google map puts this about 5 miles to Barclay Center.
 #1097915  by Doc Emmet Brown

I doubt very much the circus will appear at the barcley center due to its close proximity to Madison Square Garden, same subway lines and Railroad stop in both places. I also see the golden gloves will be in barclays, not the garden.
 #1097962  by krispy

I was recently involved in a concert involving a old rock band that brought out the "trekkies" of rock fans, and it was amusing to see both the reactions of the fans who's only Brooklyn experiences were from "Welcome back Kotter", and the locals plying these yokels with fake t-shirts, etc. This arena has definitely transformed the area, all for the better (except Hanson's Deli, going the some downward spiral of Maxie's).

The band lasted longer than I thought they would, and went up to 11pm and into the extras they have scheduled. Fortunately they had 10 cars and so could handle a crush load. It would've been worse if the crowd was more experienced and had jumped on the first one out to catch a ride to Jamaica, there was a lot of folks hanging out on an empty platform. Don't know why they did that, unless the signs were posted for a Ronky connection. The RR did a good job, they had a TM and several ushers shouting at the crowd as they got into Brooklyn when the last train was, and the same crew was doing their best to steer the stoned middle-aged rock fans in the right direction. Hope they get these guys some help for the bigger games, and they may have to get "Boardy Barn" (lots and lots of PD) tough when they start having Isles/Ranger games in a few years.

As the area does get more "hip" they should really reconsider a full schedule back into Atlantic Terminal. I can remember how I felt when the yuppies took over Montauk and ruined the place (good indication when they painted over the "Die yuppie scum" on the side of the carvel), so I can see why some of the locals have resentment over the gentrification of what was once a nice run-down gritty neighborhood. But it's definitely here, and when they have both hockey and B-Ball, it will definitely be busy down there. It's more than what was just a short cut to get to Wall Street for LI commuters...

I too will miss seeing the Fishsticks play in Nassau Masoleum, but don't see why they won't continue to have other events there, at least in the next few years. Especially with SMG in the background stuck with the place in the near future, so I can see them trying to push the soccer, lacrosse and concerts until Nassau comes up with a viable plan (bwahahaha) to do something else. I remember taking a first date to a Circus and seeing one of the elephants get Montezuma's down on the floor, and laughing myself out of a second date until the smell crept up the stands, and just nearly killed everyone present. Definitely straightened out her perm, and then I was still smelling that the rest of the hockey season... Won't miss that at all...
 #1103863  by Backshophoss

From the 27th of feb till apr 1st ,the RED train will be in the area,2 sites on the jersey side(Newark+ E Rutherford)
and bypassing MSG for Barclays Center and Uniondale.
Wild guess is the passenger cars will layup at VD yard,The animal cars and flats layup at Fresh pond yard,or
the whole train will do the traditional layup at Sunnyside, for Barclays Center run.
Garden -Mitchell Sec for Uniondale(short stay there,3/10-3/17)

The RED train might setup at Sunnyside yard from 2/26-4/02 as a base of operations for all the shows in the metro area,
instead of moving the entire train from the jersey side under the Hudson River,after the run at E.Rutherford.
That's what the Straites Show did last time they performed in the metro area.
 #1639025  by Jeff Smith

https://new.mta.info/press-release/lirr ... den-events
LIRR Adds Service for Fans After Madison Square Garden Events

Rangers, Knicks Games and Concerts to Have More Post-Event Service

Changes Made to Increase Customer Comfort and Accommodate Trackwork Across LIRR System

In response to customer feedback and to optimize service, the railroad has eliminated some trains with low ridership and their cars will be reallocated to create two new trains from Penn Station after events at Madison Square Garden, giving riders additional service options and more space. These trains supplement the added late-night service implemented in the fall of 2023.
 #1639040  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - What happened to me just now is a FRUSTRATING problem that I can have with Railroad.Net -

I was compiling and writing a reply about train service after MSG events and was asking if there was going
to be flexibility enough that the LIRR would be able to hold trains after overtime games and after concerts
that end much later then scheduled due to added encores (example) to accommodate fans...

I was not paying close attention to the time instead trying to offer an example of fans missing the last train
of the night out of Penn Station and then having to endure an hours-long wait until the next morning...

Railroad.Net has a one hour/60 minute "window" to compile and submit a post - anything more means
that I have to either go backwards to see if I can save my text or go forwards and log back in risking my
post in the process - in this case I was NOT able to do either and my thought process was "GONE"...

I was actually angry enough that I was just going to shut down my device altogether - instead I decided
to try and recall something about the topic and mention the problems that I encountered...

What I MUST do to alleviate this is to submit and pull back a post to "reset the clock"...
I also think that the limitations of my device can somehow confound this problem...

If there was some sort of warning within five minutes being a good example - I could take some precaution
to make certain that an unprotected post text that is being worked on or in progress does not "disappear"...

With this thought it is time to sign off and give it a rest...MACTRAXX