Railroad Forums 

• Event Trains (Barclay and MSG/Penn)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1083929  by Marge s

In a couple of weeks the Barclays center will open w/concerts,bball ect and from what I have heard the plan is to run one or two extra trains from FBA to Jamaice. This sounds like a plan that could only have come frome the great minds in charge of the LIRR.Picture this a concert lets out and 5000 people pour into brooklyn and try to get on to two trains, at the same time in Penn sta another concert lets out and 5000 people pack into the next KO,Babylon and Huntington trains.The trains from brooklyn discharge all passengers in Jamaica who then want to get on the packed trains from NY.(IE NOV 14 Baaclays has The Who and MSG has a Ranger game) add the alcohol and let the fun begin.
 #1083940  by num1hendrickfan

There are enough alternatives that many will probably opt for the subway to connect to trains at either Jamaica or Penn ( for those opting to travel to jamaica the A train isn't far away, it requires a transfer to the J train of course ). The NYCTA subway system has a greater frequency of service than that of the LIRR, and can accommodate any spillovers. As for that figure of 5000 people, I'd probably wager more on 10,000-15,000 ( especially at basketball and hockey games where there is next to no parking available ).
Last edited by num1hendrickfan on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1083944  by lirr42

There will be more than two trains coming from Brooklyn after an event... late-night service to Brooklyn is coming back relativity soon so there will be more than two options going out of Brooklyn (plus not to many basketball games run past midnight, when regular service stops)

Additionally, people do not just instantaneously leave a venue, they trickle out over a fairly decent period of time and make their way to the trains. So we're not talking 15,000 people instantly trying to squeeze through the last door of an 8 car Brooklyn train, it's fairly spread out (think how Mets games work).
 #1083946  by lirr42

num1hendrickfan wrote:There are enough alternatives that many will probably opt for the subway to connect to trains at either Jamaica or Penn ( for those opting to travel to jamaica the A train isn't far away ). The NYCTA subway system has a greater frequency of service than that of the LIRR, and can accommodate any spillovers. As for that figure of 5000 people, I'd probably wager more on 10,000-15,000 ( especially at basketball and hockey games where there is next to no parking available ).
Taking the subway from Penn/Brooklyn to Jamaica is not a really effective way to handle the "spillovers". First of all, at 1am the frequency of service isn't all that great, and with frequent service changes for trackwork, etc. it can be quite a hassle to get to Jamaica. Plus, it takes roughly 45 minutes for both those trips on the subway, significantly longer than the trains which do it in 20-25 minutes. I'd personally would not be happy if I was directed to take the subway over the train when coming out of an event...
 #1083951  by R36 Combine Coach

The most "direct" route by subway from Atlantic/Flatbush to Jamaica would be the A/C to J, but even so the nearest stop would be Lafayette Av, five blocks away. Still requires a transfer at Broadway Junction and I'm not sure if visitors to Nets games, concerts or special events would really want to pass through that area late at night.
 #1083956  by SlackControl

Marge s wrote:(IE NOV 14 Baaclays has The Who and MSG has a Ranger game)
We might not have to worry about hockey games bringing much of a crowd, as the NHL players are currently being locked out. At best, we'll have a delayed start to the season. But, it could get as bad as a totally lost season, or more.

Anyway, talking about how trains relate to this topic...I'm really anticipating seeing how the LIRR will handle the crowds from the new arena in Brooklyn. Contrary to LIRR42's comment, the crowds from hockey games don't just trickle out. You get probably a couple hundred fans that leave before the game ends. But, the majority wait for the game to completely end. Then, it's like a dam giving way. Have you ever stood in Penn Station in the main waiting area and watched the steady flow of humanity that pours down the stairs from MSG into the main waiting area? While all 18,200 hockey fans don't all jump on trains right away (some trickle into the local bars or just out into the streets), the majority does. Penn Station has an advantage though, with LIRR, NJT, Amtrak and the subways to absorb the crowds. Penn Station's platforms can also accommodate full 12 car trains. With the yard west of the station, once trains fill up and are sent east, you can bring more trains in behind them to move the people out. Brooklyn isn't built to handle a big arena like that. Tracks 1 and 2 hold 10 car trains max, and tracks 4-6 can only hold 6 car trains. Plus, the yard is east of the yard, so once trains fill up, you'll have conflicting train traffic when attempting to move the crowds out. I think there will be a lot of trial and error trying to figure out a way to make Brooklyn work. I agree, it should be interesting.
 #1083959  by Backshophoss

Considering there's no yard lead between Flatbush/Alantic term and VD yard,it will be one crazy "dance" to make it work.
 #1084093  by SwingMan

First, they don't store trains in VD Yard at night..and they don't have any trains there on weekends..

Second, anyone who's taking the train to the opener there better hope they have a ten car train down there. Opening night/first few game will be packed..the concerts will probably also be packed.

Third, if the Nets are as bad as they've been for 30 years in New Jersey, they won't have to worry about them here.

I agree with Marge S this will be fun to watch when it starts..
 #1084106  by SlackControl

If they anticipate large crowds, they might store trains in VD during the events, so they can be available for when the event let's out.

On the weekends, are they planning on running more trains than just the half hour service that's currently set up for Brooklyn?
 #1084215  by SwingMan

They have 6 tracks in Brooklyn, they're not all used after rush hour. They won't put trains in VD Yard as it's just not logical for them to have to make 4 moves to get them into the station.
 #1084233  by Backshophoss

Granted you can use some of the platform tracks to store equipment needed for "mini-rush" after the event, IF in the unlikely event
the "Brooklyn Nets" make a run for NBA Championship,it makes sense to have avaible equipment nearby at VD yard.
There is always 1 set of equipment that "craps out"(murphy's law) and waiting for a deadhead train from Jamaica might
not go over well with a "well lubed"(in beer) crowd!!

Whatever LIRR does at Citifield for the Mets seems to work,hopefully that experance will be used on
Barclays events crowds.
 #1085360  by Tadman

There's really a yard called "VD"? Oh my that's a bit funny...
 #1085381  by Backshophoss

You might want to take a look at http://www.trainsarefun.com; Website for a "crash course" on Flatbush ave/Alantic Terminal/VD yard.
The Emery maps will help.
Also take a peek at http//arrtsarrchives.com/index html;scroll down to Alantic Ave. Improvement Project for photos of the freight side
of Flatbush ave.
Last edited by Backshophoss on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1085383  by lirr42

Tadman wrote:There's really a yard called "VD"? Oh my that's a bit funny...
Don't got hurting it's feelings by calling its name funny. Yards get very sensitive about their names ;-)