Railroad Forums 

• $5000.00? CSX Training

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#148195  by Guest

And I don't think that knuckle weighs 80lbs either!

-r
 #148240  by jg greenwood

NASHVILLE-NEWBIE wrote:Dear Mr. UPRR Engineer,

I am in my third week of conductor school at AMDG. Being a newbie I don't have anything to compare it to. All I can tell you is that I went to about 5 hiring sessions for Norfolk Southern in the last year. I arrived at least 2 hours early at every session and there was a line already waiting to get in. They advertize in my local paper and maybe 200 peolple show up for 5 or 6 jobs.

As far as AMDG goes I am really glad that I made the choice to attend this school. The two retired CSX employees that are our instructors have over 80 years between them-------they have some funny stories along with some great knowledge. For all you guys and gals who think you have to tote a 80 lb knuckle from the engine back 4500 feet to a car let me tell you that is wrong----you will be taught how to perform work safely and without killing yourself.

I am in school with 10 guys who are going to Nashville and we have 35 more coming in the next 2 months-----you talk about instant senority.

Thanks,

Nashville-Newbie
The ex CSX employees, any of them from Etowah, TN.? If so, you're fortunate!

#148386  by CSX Conductor

razor wrote:And I don't think that knuckle weighs 80lbs either!

-r
Actually, I thought they were 90 lbs.

#148396  by Guest

Thanks David for participating with that engaging and humors anecdote.

-r

#148400  by UPRR engineer

Ya thanks David, id like to see my super put a knuckle back in.... id go into detail but i better not lol :wink:
 #148544  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Yes you are correct Mr. Greenwood ------We have got K.P. down here teaching us a boat load. Boy does he have some stories though. He is one hell of a nice guy. We go home after class with sore ribs from all his tales of 40 years on the rails.

I heard today that AMDG is going to start having classes for Norfolk Southern in the Near future. They are moving into a space twice as large as the place they have now ----next week. They must be doing something right!

Thanks,

Nashville newbie
 #148648  by jg greenwood

NASHVILLE-NEWBIE wrote:Yes you are correct Mr. Greenwood ------We have got K.P. down here teaching us a boat load. Boy does he have some stories though. He is one hell of a nice guy. We go home after class with sore ribs from all his tales of 40 years on the rails.

I heard today that AMDG is going to start having classes for Norfolk Southern in the Near future. They are moving into a space twice as large as the place they have now ----next week. They must be doing something right!

Thanks,
You're in good hands! Don't let anyone blow smoke up your arse; the quality training you're receiving is well worth the cost. Good luck!

Nashville newbie

#163727  by conrail_engineer

LCJ wrote:Conrail did not do it. Conrail used AIT to screen and train newhires, but the prospects did not pay for it.

CSX has shown that their system works. I guess it's priced at what the market will bear. People who make that kind of commitment up front are more likely to take such a job seriously, it seems.
More desperate people are going to buy their jobs.

Conrail wanted quality people; and realized they would have to screen, and then pay for, them. They PAID trainees; $8.00 an hour.

CSX wants to do it on the cheap. Their ideal employee signs his paycheck with an "X." What they haven't realized yet is that the most expensive thing in business is CHEAP LABOR.

People with nothing are not going to be ABLE to buy their jobs. They'll rely on Big Brother to do it for them...and when they find out that they can't mark off drunk, they'll quit. Such is the underculture of America; and such is the effects of using Federal JTPA monies to put these imbeciles through railraod training.

#163741  by LCJ

conrail_engineer wrote:People with nothing are not going to be ABLE to buy their jobs. They'll rely on Big Brother to do it for them...and when they find out that they can't mark off drunk, they'll quit. Such is the underculture of America; and such is the effects of using Federal JTPA monies to put these imbeciles through railraod training.
What are you trying to say here? Oh, never mind...
Last edited by LCJ on Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

#163745  by conrail_engineer

(Edited for taste. LCJ and I talked it out, privately.)