Railroad Forums 

• $5000.00? CSX Training

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#145311  by CSX Conductor

LCJ wrote:People who make that kind of commitment up front are more likely to take such a job seriously, it seems.

For the most part. The rest are just buffs. LOL :P

#145528  by Swedish Meatball

How come this is allowed for by the Unions on the property. This had to be something that was negotiated at the bargaining table. What was given to the employees when they gave up paid training? This also seems like a good company practice because the training department has to be a skeleton crew at CSX.

#145529  by LCJ

Swedish Meatball wrote:How come this is allowed for by the Unions on the property.
The people who attend the school are not CSX employees. Therefore the CSX labor contracts do not apply. When they are hired by CSX after successfully completing the screening process and training regimen, they are then paid for any further training as employees.

#145530  by jg greenwood

Swedish Meatball wrote:How come this is allowed for by the Unions on the property. This had to be something that was negotiated at the bargaining table. What was given to the employees when they gave up paid training? This also seems like a good company practice because the training department has to be a skeleton crew at CSX.
www.amdg.ws runs these schools. While some instructors are former CSX employees, AMDG is an entity unto itself.

#145682  by SimTrains

I was told by a CSX employee that the reason CSX gave up all it's hiring was to keep things on the up and up with equal employment laws and such. Should someone claim that 99% of CSX's employees are white males, and that isn't fair, then CSX can simple say....Oh well, we don't do the hiring.

On the topic of AMDG, I will be attending there conductor school starting July 18th. I feel that I have a pretty good handle on the signals and I have read through the rule book a few times. Anybody else here going to this session?

#146431  by DJ

SimTrains, will you be in training in Albany?

#146441  by LCJ

SimTrains wrote:I was told by a CSX employee that the reason CSX gave up all it's hiring was to keep things on the up and up with equal employment laws and such. Should someone claim that 99% of CSX's employees are white males, and that isn't fair, then CSX can simple say....Oh well, we don't do the hiring.
This is not correct. CSX still hires their employees, and is still subject to all applicable laws governing employment. AMDG takes care of the preliminary screening and training.

#146579  by SimTrains

No, I will be in Cincinnati.

LCJ - But, to get any type of railroad job, you must apply and be accepted into AMDG's program. It's not as if you could apply through CSX, be hired and trained by them. Unless if you want to be a jitney driver or carman, or watever else they post on the site csx.com.

#146591  by wmt

Hey SimTrains,

You mentioned studying the signals and the rule book, may I know please where you got your study material? I haven't landed the job / schooling yet but I know there is a lot to learn and would like to get a jump on it.

Good luck to you in your training!

#146875  by CSX Conductor

razor wrote:wmt,
You can get a copy of the NORAC rules here:

http://www.ble482.org/Norac8.pdf

-r
Waste of time if you will be working exclusively on CSXT lines......they through NORAC out the window Nov. 1st, 2004 :(

#146924  by Guest

wmt is applying for a job on the NS - we still use NORAC.

I've heard talk that the NS is also doing away with NORAC, but I don't see it happening any time soon.
-r
 #148176  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Dear Mr. UPRR Engineer,

I am in my third week of conductor school at AMDG. Being a newbie I don't have anything to compare it to. All I can tell you is that I went to about 5 hiring sessions for Norfolk Southern in the last year. I arrived at least 2 hours early at every session and there was a line already waiting to get in. They advertize in my local paper and maybe 200 peolple show up for 5 or 6 jobs.

As far as AMDG goes I am really glad that I made the choice to attend this school. The two retired CSX employees that are our instructors have over 80 years between them-------they have some funny stories along with some great knowledge. For all you guys and gals who think you have to tote a 80 lb knuckle from the engine back 4500 feet to a car let me tell you that is wrong----you will be taught how to perform work safely and without killing yourself.

I am in school with 10 guys who are going to Nashville and we have 35 more coming in the next 2 months-----you talk about instant senority.

Thanks,

Nashville-Newbie
 #148187  by CSX Conductor

NASHVILLE-NEWBIE wrote: For all you guys and gals who think you have to tote a 80 lb knuckle from the engine back 4500 feet to a car let me tell you that is wrong--
Of course not. Once you find the broken knuckle, you can close the angle cock at the end of the drag, have your engineer drop a new knuckle off on the side of the tracks (with a fusee so you'll know where it is) and ride the car up to the new knuckle. Then put the knuckle on the end of the car, and (with permission of the dispatcher if in signaled territory) shove back to the rest of the train......and then change the knuckle. :wink: