Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1637054  by edflyerssn007

Railjunkie wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:06 am Not to be a Debbie Downer but have we all forgotten that it took 14 attempts to get the equipment to pass. Does that not bother anyone?? Is that not like taking a square peg and just hitting it with a bigger hammer until it fits into the round hole.
Maybe it is just me...
It means that there was a difference from the model to the real thing. They've finally got their model matching reality which means things will go easy smoother from here on out. going from how things should work on paper to how they actually work in real life is an art in and of itself.
 #1637097  by Railjunkie

edflyerssn007 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:40 pm
Railjunkie wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:06 am Not to be a Debbie Downer but have we all forgotten that it took 14 attempts to get the equipment to pass. Does that not bother anyone?? Is that not like taking a square peg and just hitting it with a bigger hammer until it fits into the round hole.
Maybe it is just me...
It means that there was a difference from the model to the real thing. They've finally got their model matching reality which means things will go easy smoother from here on out. going from how things should work on paper to how they actually work in real life is an art in and of itself.
Yeah sure. Is that why the Boeing Max platform does so well??? Amtrak made "HAL" work because they had to. WAY to much TIME and $$$$$ invested in a train set that has yet to turn a wheel in revenue service.
 #1637100  by Jeff Smith

Although nothing from Amtrak Media yet, there's more details in here: NJ.com
A new Amtrak Acela train is testing in N.J. Are the replacements for 20-year-old trains coming?
Officials confirmed that one of the 28 new train sets that will replace the current Acela trains — which are more than two decades old — on the Amtrak’s busy Northeast Corridor is on rails for testing without passengers on board.
Amtrak officials said they still expect to roll out the fleet this year.

On Jan, 15 a new Acela train set was videoed speeding through Princeton Junction in Mercer County on a section of the Northeast Corridor line dubbed the “raceway” where the trains can hit a top speed of 150 mph.

“Alstom and Amtrak have commenced high-speed testing of the new Acela fleet on the Northeast Corridor, allowing Alstom to begin the next step in the safety certification process that leads toward launching revenue service,” said Jason Abrams, an Amtrak spokesperson.
“There is only one test train — all others are not testing,” he said.
 #1637116  by Tadman

Railjunkie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:08 am Is that why the Boeing Max platform does so well??? Amtrak made "HAL" work because they had to. WAY to much TIME and $$$$$ invested in a train set that has yet to turn a wheel in revenue service.
The Boeing max platform works great. You have three high profile incidents. Two of which were total losses attributable to violation of the cardinal safety rule, " do not leave the terminal with critical safety gear not functioning". One of those planes had been written up for weeks. Those were totally avoidable losses.

The recent plug door issue was absolutley crazy but could happen on any plane with a plug door improperly installed.
 #1637120  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Dunville, we are often reminded around here that this is not airliners.net, so this may get killed:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/maga ... =url-share

I'm willing to say that the '18 JT and '19 ET incidents were more the result of inadequate Flight Crew training than anything else, this pertinent passage regarding JT illustrates just that:
.. They would have a hitchhiker in the cockpit, sitting on the jump seat just behind them. He was an off-duty pilot and, according to one Indonesian pilot I spoke to, a 737 Max captain for a Lion Air subsidiary.

But then there was a change. What had been an information failure suddenly turned into a flight-control one. Soon after the flaps were retracted, the airplane developed a mind of its own and rolled in a fast burst of nose-down trim. Apparently, this caused such a lurch that back in the cabin some passengers started praying. It was just the MCAS kicking in, because the three conditions necessary to trigger it had combined: The flaps were up, the autopilot was off and the captain’s angle-of-attack sensor was showing a stall.....Finally the ghost in the jump seat intervened. It is impossible to know if he was a better airman than the pilots in the front or simply had the advantage of an overview. Either way, he recommended the obvious — shutting off the electric trim by flipping the cutout switches. The captain flipped the switches, the trim stopped running away and the MCAS was disabled. It was that easy.

With the captain’s stick shaker continuing to rattle and the trim switches set to the off (cutout) position, the crew flew to Jakarta without further issue, adjusting trim as sometimes necessary by use of the manual trim wheels mounted on both sides of the central pedestal, and landed just before midnight. ...
From GBN, who's about to take his first MAX flight next Saturday (and he is SOOOO worried :P :-D )
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1637121  by RandallW

On an aircraft documented to have multiple redundant pitot tubes, tying just one of those tubes to an undocumented computer override of a pilot's input, while providing airlines documentation that the aircraft can be safely operated without that critical tube isn't a "do not leave the terminal with critical safety gear not functioning" failure--its a total design and manufacturing failure.

Back the Avelia, given that the rules allowing it are basically "this train will be allowed to operate at its design speed as an exception to all other rules that can just be looked up", it's not unreasonable to demand that it be accurately in its operating environment, which is where the computer modeling seems to have failed (i.e., it seems Alstom struggled to model the NEC correctly, not the train sets).
 #1637129  by edflyerssn007

Railjunkie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:08 am
edflyerssn007 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:40 pm
Maybe it is just me...
Yeah sure. Is that why the Boeing Max platform does so well??? Amtrak made "HAL" work because they had to. WAY to much TIME and $$$$$ invested in a train set that has yet to turn a wheel in revenue service.
I believe Alstom is having to eat the cost of this work being delayed rather than Amtrak. I understand Amtrak is losing out on potential revenue but I think things will move quickly over the next 12-24 months. I'd rather this project be delayed and be done safely than rushed like Boeing has been of late. I love the fail fast and move forward idea of SpaceX but that paradigm doesn't work for passenger trains. Alstom will deliver this contract and then continue to move forward with the CASHR contract if they win that using this design but upgraded for 220.

The objective truth is that NEC is probably in worse condition than Amtrak cares to admit and as a result the train doesn't act like it's supposed to. We don't want Acela2's sideswiping each other at speed.
 #1637130  by TurningOfTheWheel

The TGV M, which is fundamentally the same train (Alstom Avelia family), has also faced delays due to its onboard modeling. This is not exclusively an Amtrak issue, though no doubt the condition of the NEC is a factor.

The Avelia Liberties being delivered to Amtrak are capable of 220 with the tilting mechanism disabled. I imagine the trains for CAHSR would be customized in their own way, but the platform is certainly capable of those speeds.
 #1637398  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:55 am From GBN, who's about to take his first MAX flight next Saturday (and he is SOOOO worried :P :-D )
Well, so far, no messages from United saying my MAX Sat AM flight to MIA has gotten the CX. They may have "subbed" a 737-800 for it. But what do I care; all I want is to get down there in time to hear The Cleveland Orchestra perform; and maybe get my 30 seconds with Franz Welser-Most at a post-concert reception (I also contribute - no earth-shaking amount - which appears to be my ticket to these receptions).

Here endeth this posting to the RRNET branch of airliners.net; read before it's killed :-D .