Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1634529  by GSC

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:20 am Farmingdale at 10:36 AM

2005 752 and 12 cars
Was the new connection used? Or does it still have to be tested?
 #1634578  by Blackseal Jim

GSC wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:57 am

2005 752 and 12 cars
There's a bit of track that needs to be built to connect the track from the southern to the Freehold Secondary. Good video of it on Facebook
 #1634709  by pdtrains

1st of all....not currently being used, and OOS, are VERY different things. The track is not currently being used, but far from being OOS...

You also seem to have forgotten that in the spring when there will be bridge work near Jamesburg, the route via red bank will be used for all traffic for a few weeks or so.
 #1634714  by JohnFromJersey

pdtrains wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:28 pm 1st of all....not currently being used, and OOS, are VERY different things. The track is not currently being used, but far from being OOS...
But what constitutes something being OOS? Does it require legal definition? Is it based on how long a train has not traversed the tracks on? Everyone can agree here that the TRIT is 'OOS,' yet the crossings are still maintained, and, IIRC, the crossings for the TRIT are not "exempt" for school buses and other protected vehicles to stop at, before they cross.

Speaking of the TRIT, it is a shame that was never used for car storage to keep/preserve the tracks there in (somewhat) useable shape. I don't think even rail car storage would be an option, given how disused, and probably in disrepair, those tracks are
pdtrains wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:28 pm You also seem to have forgotten that in the spring when there will be bridge work near Jamesburg, the route via red bank will be used for all traffic for a few weeks or so.
That is true, but that is still a multitude of months away. Rail car storage, IIRC, is oftentimes a seasonal thing, so between now and the Spring, some further revenue for DRRR (and more trains for us to all watch and chase) could be obtained via railcar storage.
Last edited by JohnFromJersey on Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1634716  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:32 pm I could see them doing it but only if the prices are competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How would it not be competitive? The stretch between Earle and Red Bank is largely unused (for now), all DRRR would have to do is have the customer(s) organize with CR, pick up the cars from the interchange with CR, and park them between Earle and Red Bank
 #1634721  by Bracdude181

C&D does railcar storage in Washington but I think it’s mostly for Borealis Compounds.

As far as car storage being a seasonal thing, could be. Winter is usually when CMSL gets more tanks for storage. They got like 40-50 cars off Conrail a little over a month ago.
 #1634723  by jdh823

JohnFromJersey wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:51 pm How would it not be competitive? The stretch between Earle and Red Bank is largely unused (for now), all DRRR would have to do is have the customer(s) organize with CR, pick up the cars from the interchange with CR, and park them between Earle and Red Bank
You're acting as if it's just as easy as "hey we have car storage now" and just will automatically have cars rolling in.
 #1634757  by GSC

GSC wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:57 am

2005 752 and 12 cars
I asked the question before I saw the video on FB that more rails must be placed between RR Ave and Southard. I'm sure there will be all kinds of coverage when the new leg is used the first time.