Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1631614  by Jeff Smith

https://www.railwayage.com/freight/shor ... anch-line/

Chesapeake & Delaware LLC (C&D) wholly owned subsidiary Delaware & Raritan River Railroad (DRR) has completed its Freehold & Southern Connection, a five-mile track rehabilitation project reconnecting, after nearly 40 years, Freehold and Farmingdale, N.J., through Howell Twp. A final-spike ceremony took place on Oct. 13 in Farmingdale.

Completed nine months ahead of schedule and under budget, the F&S Connection (formally, the Conrail Shared Assets Freehold Industrial Track) links the Railroad’s Freehold and Southern branches in Monmouth County, N.J. Started in January 2023, the $12 million project included 25,000 track-feet of relayed rail and 12,500 new crossties, more than 8,000 of which are environmentally sustainable Narstco steel ties; vegetation clearing; and six upgraded grade crossings.

The New Jersey Department of Transportation Rail Freight Assistance Program and the State’s grade crossing improvement fund helped pay for the project, which, in addition to the five miles of track, included rebuilding of the northern leg of the Farmingdale Wye, the connection to the Conrail Red Bank-Lakewood Southern Branch, a former Central Railroad of New Jersey line best known as the route of the famous Jersey City-Atlantic City Blue Comet luxury passenger express train. Accessorial work to be completed will include rebuilding the Farmingdale Wye’s south leg, siding construction and rehabilitation, and grade crossing improvements in Freehold, Howell, and Shrewsbury, N.J.
 #1631622  by Sir Ray

Accessorial work to be completed will include rebuilding the Farmingdale Wye’s south leg
Rebuilding? I thought this southbound leg connecting to the Southern is new construction as no such connection existed before - there was a crossing, but no south leg...or am I misremembering (always a possibility)?
 #1631629  by JohnFromJersey

Going back to the TRIT, I do wonder how many cars the propane place used to get in its heyday. The TRIT is an example of what would become of the entire Southern Secondary if not for Woodhaven being the anchor customer. Ciba-Geigy/Toms River Chemical was the anchor customer for the TRIT, as it got a fair amount of cars until its closure sometime in the early 1990's.

Sir Ray wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:49 am
Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:23 am Accessorial work to be completed will include rebuilding the Farmingdale Wye’s south leg
Rebuilding? I thought this southbound leg connecting to the Southern is new construction as no such connection existed before - there was a crossing, but no south leg...or am I misremembering (always a possibility)?
Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:50 am No such construction existed before to my knowledge. There was only a crossover for the PRR.
Someone probably thought the PRR crossover was "the south leg."

In any case, likely a simple mistake by someone from hundreds of miles away, because we all here know its wrong.
PutUponPercy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:06 am Haven't seen this mentioned yet but apparently they are draining Manalapan lake to build a new RR bridge
Do you have pictures??
 #1631634  by GSC

Not sure about other later loads, but the BG location on the TRIT received four long laminated bridge beams, 2' x 4' x 65' on flat cars. I hauled them on a 60' stretch flatbed down Rt 73 to a new park that was under construction. I think this was around 1979-80 or so. I just got my new tractor about then, spring of 1979, not sure of the exact date of that haul. (They weighed 10K each, so I took all four at once.)
 #1631693  by JohnFromJersey

Facebook rumor going around that today's SA-31 will be the last one serving Red Bank until bridge work starts. Rumor says freight will be going to Jamesburg starting next week. Maybe this means we will start seeing 286K cars?

Not sure how true that is, since it sounds like that they are getting ready to rebuild that bridge, which would require SA-31 to CONTINUE going to Red Bank for the foreseeable future.
 #1631697  by jdh823

Just because the materials are there doesn't mean they're going to rebuild the bridge right away. It'll probably be a few months, so they're gonna funnel everything through jamesburg until then. The bridge can handle it