• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JohnFromJersey

Tanker1497 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:27 pm Well I'm not so sure how I was picked out of the crowd, but Kean Burenga walked up to me put his hand out and said hi.
We then entered a really quick conversation with me saying I was from TR and he said "we don't go down there much...I'm mean we are never going down there." So I assume from little chat the TRIT is OSS and will remain OOS for any time in the near future. So Columbia Propane and Builders General is just a wet dream at this point.
Little does Kean know 208 feet South of Whitesville Rd and the track is in Toms River if for about 1362 feet ending right at the trestel.LOL!
Any service on the TRIT is DOA. There is little if any industrial potential in the area around it anymore, and if there was, it likely wouldn't make up the cost to repair the line that has been OOS for what, 20+ years now?

The only life that line will ever see is if NJ Transit did the MO(M) line and had its southern terminus at the Toms River Park and Ride (not in the middle of nowhere in Lakehurst).
Tanker1497 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:54 pm Dude I wrote what he said, stop at the punctuation marks, don't fill in extra. We all know they have funds to clean up the tracks to Lakehurst. To rehab the TRIT its 23,364 feet or 4.42 miles just shy of what they just did on the Freehold Secondary. It would be millions to do for a couple of cars a week too much to turn a profit.
Who knows if those businesses are even still there. It's been quite a common back-and-forth on this thread and the Facebook groups as to whether or not Suburban Propane is still around - some people say they are still there and doing well at their Toms River location, and others have said that where their tanks/siding used to be is now an empty lot - I am never in TR, so I can't confirm, but this conundrum sounds similar to the Bel-Ray one, where there are still a lot of people who say the tank cars are for Bel-Ray and not Laird's, despite Bel-Ray being gone for years now.

I am curious to know when they will start the repairs on the section between Lakehurst and Lakewood. If sand trains are not coming any time soon (if at all), the line south of Lakewood is as good as the TRIT is for revenue traffic...

unless there is something else going on there.
  by JohnFromJersey

cx4storm wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:56 pm
MHKProductions wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:30 pm I remember that customer I think they were down the street from the siding. When did that incident happen?
Back on October 17, 2021. These two posts contain more info.

post1583045.html#p1583045

cr-on-the-southern-secondary-t118-11085.html#p1583171
MHKProductions wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:19 pm Thanks, As of Tuesday (October 17th) will be 2 years ago of when Marjam last got a car then if the incident happened then.
I don't think that hydraulic fluid collision could have been the (sole) reason for Marjam not getting cars anymore. Accidents happened, and as long as Marjam was able to get the loads off of that car in the end, it shouldn't really matter towards the bottom line, right? Maybe it was a catalyst for them stopping service, like maybe they thought Brick Recycling storing their hydraulic fluid so close to the tracks was careless, and the carloads weren't making economical sense for them or something, but that is just railfan speculation on my part.

As someone said here, it seems like Marjam's lot on 33/34 there in Wall has less and less material stored there, so either they aren't doing as much business or they need more frequent service than one carload every once in a while, and switched back to trucks.
CR7876 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:43 am
Tanker1497 wrote: Ok, you through that crew under the bus!
I think they were using the poling pocket and got crazy fast!
Lets see what the boss says this morning when he reads this page?
He might ask for pictures of the event from a rail fan for the hearing!
Already got all the info I need. G-250 being mailed out as we speak.
I do want to know what the "G-250" from the posts about the incident mean.
MHKProductions wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:58 pm I noticed that there are 2 tracks (unoperational) that go into the ABC location on the Southern, Not sure if that was originally for them, but its cool to see. Someone could probably use those sidings if they were in use.
IIRC, it used to be Ewing Landscaping Supply. I don't think that siding has seen a train switch on it in at least a decade now.
  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:51 pm I don't think that hydraulic fluid collision could have been the (sole) reason for Marjam not getting cars anymore. Accidents happened, and as long as Marjam was able to get the loads off of that car in the end, it shouldn't really matter towards the bottom line, right? Maybe it was a catalyst for them stopping service, like maybe they thought Brick Recycling storing their hydraulic fluid so close to the tracks was careless, and the carloads weren't making economical sense for them or something, but that is just railfan speculation on my part.

As someone said here, it seems like Marjam's lot on 33/34 there in Wall has less and less material stored there, so either they aren't doing as much business or they need more frequent service than one carload every once in a while, and switched back to trucks.
Marjam stopped getting there cars to that location for reasons that didn't have anything to do with that incident.
JohnFromJersey wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:51 pm
CR7876 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:43 am
Better that you don't know. Next thing someone else'll start throwing around terminology here that they're not familiar with. Just leave it to the professionals who ARE in the know and actually know what they're doing.
JohnFromJersey wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:51 pm
MHKProductions wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:58 pm I noticed that there are 2 tracks (unoperational) that go into the ABC location on the Southern, Not sure if that was originally for them, but its cool to see. Someone could probably use those sidings if they were in use.
IIRC, it used to be Ewing Landscaping Supply. I don't think that siding has seen a train switch on it in at least a decade now.
IIRC, a newspaper was in there temporarily back in the 80s or 90s. Think it was the Ledger. Got called for a Southern job and we spotted boxes of paper rolls in there. Gave us coffee too. That siding's changed hands few times now.
  by CR2721

JohnFromJersey wrote:
cx4storm wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:56 pm
MHKProductions wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:30 pm I remember that customer I think they were down the street from the siding. When did that incident happen?
Back on October 17, 2021. These two posts contain more info.

post1583045.html#p1583045

cr-on-the-southern-secondary-t118-11085.html#p1583171
MHKProductions wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:19 pm Thanks, As of Tuesday (October 17th) will be 2 years ago of when Marjam last got a car then if the incident happened then.

[/quote]

Doing a little Google search, the Conrail G-250-OTE Form is a "Notice of investigation trial or hearing".

I'm not sure why all the secrecy and ambiguity about railroad operations by some on here. This is searchable information to the public.
Screenshot_20231016_125359_Samsung Notes.jpg
Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by RFRailFan

The Golden Spike ceremony looked to be a great event, sorry I missed it. But while I was in Buffalo, caught this CSX 6420 moving some hopper cars to the General Mills plant. They were making Lucky Charms on Friday, at least that smell was in the air!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by AceMacSD

Kaback9 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:19 am
GooStats wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:11 am what sort of possible freight would be coming or going to Belmar/ Spring Lake/ Neptune?
Presently, nothing.
Correct, presently nothing is moving and from what I hear the item(s) aren't assembled until a final answer as how they'll move it. CR with CSX are supposed to meet with jersey transit to discuss the move.
  by Bracdude181

Well the 752 is in red Bank but I don’t see 2005 or 1888 anywhere and the four cars are not in Redbank either
  by JohnFromJersey

AceMacSD wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:48 am Correct, presently nothing is moving and from what I hear the item(s) aren't assembled until a final answer as how they'll move it. CR with CSX are supposed to meet with jersey transit to discuss the move.
What kind of "items" would even be coming down the Coastline? Sounds like it has to be some sort of ocean/marine item for it to get offloaded so close to the shore/ocean... Are these wind turbines or something????
  by Bracdude181

Man now you’re giving me ideas of wanting to see a monster turbine train on coast line!!! Pulled by Conrail North Jerseys finest POS engines!!!
  by Bracdude181

The last time we had some form of specialized freight on Coast Line was several years ago when Conrail dropped something in Red Bank yard but on the opposite side where NJT leaves MOW cars and tampers and whatnot. I think it was a refurbished cannon or something?