Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1629604  by Allan

As to why these 2 re-reroutes popped into my head today after all this time I have no idea.

These strange reroutes took place way back in the late 1970s.

I was on a downtown D train (heading to work I think) and for some reason 6th Av trains could no go over the Manhattan Bridge into Brooklyn. The train I was on was switched over to the F line tracks at W4 St and then continued to Broadway-Lafayette. After Bway-Lafayette instead of continuing on the F, the train was sent up the connector to the Essex St station. If I remember correctly the train was 10 cars and actually extended over the switches east of the station. The motorman (they were not called train operators in those days) then went to the other end and the train went non-stop along the Nassau St line , through the Montague St tube to DeKalb Av where it then returned to its normal routing (back then) on the Brighton line. I didn't need to go into Brooklyn but I stayed on to DeKalb to see what the reroute entailed. I took a train back to Manhattan. Why they didn't just keep the D on the F all the way down to Coney Island is beyond me.

Another time I was on a D train from the Bronx and the there was big some problems south of 145 St. The D I was on was an express so it was on the middle track at 145 St. The downtown tracks south of the station, for whatever reason, couldn't be used. What they did is send the D train against traffic to the uptown express track and then onto track 6 (which is a storage/bypass track between the uptown local and express tracks) and then crossed it back on to the uptown express track and over the diamond crossover to the downtown express just just north of 125 St.

As I said at the beginning why these popped into my head and why I remembered them I'll never know.