Railroad Forums 

• Comet IV Cab Cars - Blanked-out windows

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1619859  by Silverliner II

As we know, the Comet IV cab cars' days as cab cars has long ended. Today, they are only used as trailer coaches.

Several years ago, I noticed that cabs 5011 and 5020 had their end windows plated over, headlight area plated over, and the ditch and strobe lights removed. I assumed at the time the controls in the cab had been removed as well, but as I had only seen those two cars from my train as I operated alongside the back of the MMC, that was speculation on my part.

Over the last three years, besides 5011 and 5020, I had taken note of 5017, and I think 5025 also had gotten this treatment.

And then, this past Monday, I was at Newark Penn when a train arrived with 5028 against the motor, and I saw this car had also gotten the removal work done. As the cab side was facing me, I was able to peek in the window and see that indeed, all the controls have been removed inside, with a sheet metal cover over where they used to me.

So, as of now, that's 5011, 5017, 5020, 5025*, and 5028 that I have seen completely "de-cabbed."
Now the $25,000 question is: is this going to spread to the remaining 16 Comet IV cabs eventually? Or will their eventual retirement beat them to the punch?