Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1608451  by ppbhist

Their religious protocols require that no manual labor be done on any Jewish-held property during the holy days or the sabbath.
It's funny, usually during their holidays the County comes in and does a ton of road work while the traffic is manageable. Contractors, landscapers and deliveries are all squashed during the Jewish Holidays. Haven't seen a Woodhaven truck on the roads all week.
 #1608462  by Bracdude181

No portion of the railroad ROW isn’t owned by them to my knowledge. Good time to do some work and to bring the train through. Back when Conrail ran their weekend extras the train came through town with no issues at all. No one riding the side of the train and very few walking down the tracks. Probably because the train would come through when most were in their synagogues vs running on Friday when Lakewood becomes a complete nightmare to go through regardless of wether your running a train or driving a car.

When you say “Woodhaven truck” are you referring to their box trucks? Whenever I see the train they usually have a lot of flatbeds going in and out of their facility…
 #1608467  by ppbhist

Some clarification - I meant when construction is put on hold then demand for materials from Woodhaven stops as well.
I was referring to the Woodhaven flat bed trucks full of house-building lumber and pre-fab trusses.
No construction means no demand and no throughput of lumber.
 #1608538  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:25 pm The Southern.

Speaking of the Southern, Conrail still hasn’t brought the train to Red Bank. Word is they have a crew shortage…
A believe a strike or something is happening to a lot of the Class I's right now.

Not sure if NJT would like C&D's engines up the Coastline and back to grab the train if Conrail won't do it, at least 2005/6 (whatever the newer engine they have) has PTC.
 #1608547  by Redfish

There is no strike on the class 1's. The unions are in the process of voting for or against the current contract proposal. Some of the unions have voted yes, and at least one has voted no. The unions representing trainmen and engineers won't be voting until mid November.
I have no idea about the personnel situation at CSAO, but on the Class 1's there are crew issues in many areas. Many are quitting due to the effects of PSR and they can't seem to keep most of the newly hired conductors. They either quit before finishing training or shortly after getting marked up. This in spite of the higher pay and bonuses the Class 1's are offering.