Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1608635  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:59 am @Redfish the high turnover at Conrail, at least in North Jersey, has been going on for years. Like you said, new hires leave after training is near complete or otherwise finished. A big complaint I hear is lack of consistency. Any crew can be assigned to any different train on any given day for the most part. This was especially obvious with SA38 from 2019 onwards. I’d see one crew bring that train back only to see them on MA-2 about a week later.
There's a lot going on behind the curtains over here. The lack of consistency you speak of has to do with extra board crews and job changes due to bumps, retirements etc. etc. Management also has their hands in the cookie jar on this one too. As for bonuses being offered...not at Shared Assets. Attend a hiring session and get yelled at and belittled by the "Management" then they wonder why no one wants to work for them or half the room of prospective railroaders walk out. You can make almost as much working at Walmart for a lot less stress.
 #1608639  by JohnFromJersey

The Class I's suck. At this point, it's the shortlines, Class II's, and Class III's keeping the railroad industry afloat. C&D seems to be giving the FIT and SOUS more heart in the last 3 months than CR/CSX/NS did in the last 3 decades.

The RR does pay well but you can make almost six figures managing a Taco Bell in some places, have far more consistent hours, and free food. CSX and NS don't do that!
 #1608644  by Bracdude181

AceMacSD wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:07 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:59 am @Redfish the high turnover at Conrail, at least in North Jersey, has been going on for years. Like you said, new hires leave after training is near complete or otherwise finished. A big complaint I hear is lack of consistency. Any crew can be assigned to any different train on any given day for the most part. This was especially obvious with SA38 from 2019 onwards. I’d see one crew bring that train back only to see them on MA-2 about a week later.
There's a lot going on behind the curtains over here. The lack of consistency you speak of has to do with extra board crews and job changes due to bumps, retirements etc. etc. Management also has their hands in the cookie jar on this one too. As for bonuses being offered...not at Shared Assets. Attend a hiring session and get yelled at and belittled by the "Management" then they wonder why no one wants to work for them or half the room of prospective railroaders walk out. You can make almost as much working at Walmart for a lot less stress.
I’ve heard of this management thing for a little while now. How long has that been going on?

Also WOW I can work at Walmart and make almost as much? That kinda says it all doesn’t it!
 #1608698  by drewF

Good Morning,
First time posting and just moved to the area of Monroe. While stopping for coffee this morning in Jamesburg, I noticed JB-1 sitting north of the crossing at Forsgate Drive and the crew was out taking pictures. Directly adjacent to the Dunkin Donuts parking lot, there are 3 sections of rail that have shifted. I’m not sure how it happened but here is a photo.
 #1608715  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:58 pm
I’ve heard of this management thing for a little while now. How long has that been going on?

Also WOW I can work at Walmart and make almost as much? That kinda says it all doesn’t it!
They start new hires out at somewhere around $18 an hour (not much more than minimum wage) and then have to go through the outdated pay scale. The management issues have been ongoing since split date. Inexperienced management with backgrounds of a jitney driver and a stevedore trying to tell us how to run trains. Neither ever operated a train before. Then throw in some NS goons and there you have it.
 #1608716  by AceMacSD

drewF wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:03 am Good Morning,
First time posting and just moved to the area of Monroe. While stopping for coffee this morning in Jamesburg, I noticed JB-1 sitting north of the crossing at Forsgate Drive and the crew was out taking pictures. Directly adjacent to the Dunkin Donuts parking lot, there are 3 sections of rail that have shifted. I’m not sure how it happened but here is a photo.
Looks like a vehicle hit the rail.
 #1608746  by Bracdude181

AceMacSD wrote:[quote=Bracdude181 post_id=<a href="tel:1608644" data-original-title="" title="">1608644</a> time=<a href="tel:1666205909" data-original-title="" title="">1666205909</a> user_id=291129]

They start new hires out at somewhere around $18 an hour (not much more than minimum wage) and then have to go through the outdated pay scale. The management issues have been ongoing since split date. Inexperienced management with backgrounds of a jitney driver and a stevedore trying to tell us how to run trains. Neither ever operated a train before. Then throw in some NS goons and there you have it.[/quote]

Sounds like a real headache. Out of curiosity, has anyone in current management, or at any point after the split, worked for Penn Central before? A lot of my people told me previously that a prominent higher up in Conrail was a former Penn Central worker and that he was largely responsible for how bad Conrail North Jersey is.

@DrewF Thank you for reporting the incident at Forsgate Drive. I’m gonna say AceMac is probably right in saying a vehicle caused the damage judging by your video of the oil and red plastic debris you found. Probably some jack@$$ ran the stop sign on Pergola early in the morning, flew through and didn’t stop until he/she hit the rail.

Either that or someone hit their gas pedal too hard while parking in the adjacent lot and did that somehow.