• Trains and operations in Browns Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

@bk77 Most of the track is still there, it’s just buried. You are 100 percent correct in saying NJT wants no freight on the Coast Line.

I’ve been hearing that Clayton hasn’t started going because of track conditions on the Southern. Wouldn’t surprise me!

While on the topic of track conditions, check out the tracks C&D will soon be running on.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6oYFPLkrDPMGVUxq9
  by CharlieL

Most of the rail is still there. I doubt as much as a half mile is missing.

The biggest expenses will be brush (ha! More like forest / jungle in some places) clearing, pulling up the track, grading, ballasting, repairing a couple of small bridges, new ties and replacing the track. They're betting on about $5 mil, most of which is covered in the grant, with any salvaged track being used to upgrade / repair the existing Southern down as far as Lakehurst.

I expect the cost will be closer to $6 mil, but the state is kicking $4.3 mil, so we'll see.
  by Bracdude181

In one or two places near Farmingdale the line is practically a swamp. Roadbed would probably need rebuilding as well since there’s practically nothing left of it.

I have doubts about the rail being reusable. It some spots the rails are completely covered in rust that is flaking off.
  by bk77

CharlieL wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:43 pm Most of the rail is still there. I doubt as much as a half mile is missing.

The biggest expenses will be brush (ha! More like forest / jungle in some places) clearing, pulling up the track, grading, ballasting, repairing a couple of small bridges, new ties and replacing the track. They're betting on about $5 mil, most of which is covered in the grant, with any salvaged track being used to upgrade / repair the existing Southern down as far as Lakehurst.

I expect the cost will be closer to $6 mil, but the state is kicking $4.3 mil, so we'll see.
Gotcha. I didn't read the filing but now I understand there is a grant towards rebuilding the connection. The crossings at Oakerson Rd, Howell Rd and Fairfield Rd show the crossings paved over with the tracks looking nonexistent in both directions, so there will be quite a bit of work to do. At any rate, it would be neat to see both lines connected once again. I wish C&D the best of luck with bringing more freight back to these branch lines.
  by AceMacSD

The tracks pictured are not is as bad a shape as you might think. We operated over them plenty of times with no problems and we will continue to do so safely. Trains do not need to only operate over Northeast Corridor configured tracks with their concrete ties and proper alignment.

BTW, anyone else notice that we have been fixing up Stiles Street yard? Wonder what that could be for....
  by pdtrains

For those of us who dont live locally, where is Stiles St yard, and whose RR originally?
  by CharlieL

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:48 pm In one or two places near Farmingdale the line is practically a swamp. Roadbed would probably need rebuilding as well since there’s practically nothing left of it.

I have doubts about the rail being reusable. It some spots the rails are completely covered in rust that is flaking off.
You're the eternal optimist.
  by R&DB

pdtrains wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:56 pm For those of us who dont live locally, where is Stiles St yard, and whose RR originally?
pd,
Linden, NJ on the PRR (now NEC) mostly serviced a now gone GM automotive plant.
  by Bracdude181

“You're the eternal optimist.”

🙃¿ɹǝʇsǝʞoɾ lɐuɹǝʇǝ ǝɥʇ ǝq oʇ ǝɯ ɹǝɟǝɹd noʎ plnoM
  by R&DB

AceMacSD wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:18 am The tracks pictured are not is as bad a shape as you might think. We operated over them plenty of times with no problems and we will continue to do so safely. Trains do not need to only operate over Northeast Corridor configured tracks with their concrete ties and proper alignment.

BTW, anyone else notice that we have been fixing up Stiles Street yard? Wonder what that could be for....
Stiles St. could be for NJT car storage in case of another Storm Sandy type event. It appears to be out of flood zones.
  by Bracdude181

I thought that’s why they are fixing up the unused part of Jersey Ave yard?
  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:11 pm “You're the eternal optimist.”

WTF guys, don't start wars/disagreement situations here.
  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:16 pm I thought that’s why they are fixing up the unused part of Jersey Ave yard?
That's another one. NJT needs a lot of storage just in case. Meadowlands and Bay Head are untenable in major storms.
  by CharlieL

R&DB wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:16 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:11 pm “You're the eternal optimist.”

WTF guys, don't start wars/disagreement situations here.
No war, no malice. Said with a smile and a wink.