Railroad Forums 

• Trains and operations in Browns Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1601563  by planespotting

The Linden, NJ General Motors plant serviced by Stiles Street yard closed in 2005 I believe. Once in a while, I've seen NS park engines and a tanker car (set out as defective?) for their oil trains. They also had the NS Safety Train for an emergency response training session their a few years back.

AceMacSD, are you suggesting they are working to service another type of industry (besides oil) in the yard as well? If so, in which direction would that traffic flow? I can't imagine Amtrak would allow any additional significant freight onto the NEC.
 #1601568  by rr503

CR used Stiles to stage chemical traffic until sometime around the recession. Was used as a convenient parking spot for engines and BO cars when the unit oil trains were still running to Phillips, but now whatever oil traffic Phillips is still getting moves in the manifest network.

Am curious to see what plays out of there, if this talk of renovation is true. The former GM site is now DCs whose only rail use is intermodal; the spurs are gone. Perhaps some transloading is in play?
 #1601610  by AceMacSD

planespotting wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:08 pm The Linden, NJ General Motors plant serviced by Stiles Street yard closed in 2005 I believe. Once in a while, I've seen NS park engines and a tanker car (set out as defective?) for their oil trains. They also had the NS Safety Train for an emergency response training session their a few years back.

AceMacSD, are you suggesting they are working to service another type of industry (besides oil) in the yard as well? If so, in which direction would that traffic flow? I can't imagine Amtrak would allow any additional significant freight onto the NEC.
Possibly "interchange" traffic to ease the burden on Port Reading and Browns. Traffic would come out of OI by use of the garden state. We would not put extra freight traffic on Amtrak even if its a more direct route. Doesn't seem to make sense right now but will when the time comes. There are still more details that need to be hammered out between parties involved.
 #1601664  by planespotting

Thanks, AceMacSD. Look forward to seeing what develops during my commute into NYC. Perhaps the visual aspect of the commute may get more interesting. New freight businesses on the Delco lead have come online in the last few years and with Stiles Street yard potentially seeing more action in the future it could make looking out the window more fun for railfans.
 #1602044  by Bracdude181

Could be. They’ve leased that engine out before.

Aside from whoever’s in Bayway and Phillips 66 in Tremleys Point, or perhaps the East Jersey Terminal Railroad if they are still around, I wouldn’t know who else needs an engine. Customers closer to Port Reading seem content with having Conrail switch them out to some extent.