• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by rcthompson04

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:54 am
8th Notch wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:13 pm It has already been testing. *NOT MY PHOTO*
Yep, that's Amtrak equipment. Now I really want to know how they pulled that off with the settlement.
I did some digging this morning in the STB database. AMTK 691 (formerly AMTK 661) was not subject to the PMCC lease. The lease it was subject to was terminated back in 2010 so Amtrak owns that unit free and clear.

The 8 HHPs and 6 Acela sets subject to the PMCC lease saw their lease terminated back in September 2021: https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 3229-M.pdf

Based on the termination of the lease, I am guessing Amtrak wrote PMCC a check for an amount and now owns this stuff free and clear as well.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Thompson, your "digging" is most welcomed by me and I'm certain many another discussion participant around here.

It certainly clears why Amtrak feels free to "experiment" with this unit.
  by STrRedWolf

That may well be the case. I have to wonder if Amtrak would of bought them out anyway, and the negotiators in the settlement said "Hey, this lease is up this year. You really want to push this? We're going to buy the equipment back anyway, so... you can wait and get money or you can litigate and spend it all in lawyer's fees."

In the end, Amtrak has ownership now.

Onto speculating how to turn those HHP-8's into cabs... or maybe run them through what MARC did and turn 'em back into proper engines.
  by rcthompson04

I predicted this back in November 2019.

https://railroad.net/post1525507.html#p1525507

Amtrak probably got a deal these units and the Acela cars. Seeing the Acela replacements are taking longer and Amtrak has a control car problem, writing a check to PMCC probably made sense. For PMCC, getting something for these units probably got someone at the winding down PMCC a nice bonus.
  by CSRR573

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:13 am Onto speculating how to turn those HHP-8's into cabs... or maybe run them through what MARC did and turn 'em back into proper engines.
Doing some quick digging, It looks like the pantographs are removed and the traction motors are just disconnected. Very light on details other then that
  by STrRedWolf

rcthompson04 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:56 am I predicted this back in November 2019.

https://railroad.net/post1525507.html#p1525507

Amtrak probably got a deal these units and the Acela cars. Seeing the Acela replacements are taking longer and Amtrak has a control car problem, writing a check to PMCC probably made sense. For PMCC, getting something for these units probably got someone at the winding down PMCC a nice bonus.
Heh, 2 year old prediction. In this case, I was wrong... but this means I can re-predict with more info. Let me ask some fellow fans over in another chat... Huh... MBTA got a pair of AEM-7's now for their slow electrification progress. There's rumors that 15 of them went up to Davisville as they got bought by Keolis for MBTA operations.

My old theory now turned into a question. Take Amtrak's AEM-7's (and include MARC's and SEPTA's)... and send them out to Caltrain and MBTA. Assume 1-1 replacement of diesel as both electrify.

Would it worth Amtrak's time/money to rehab as many hippos into working engines like MARC did? Assume you can turn two of them into a full engine and a cab car. You got seven sets.

Seven's more than enough for current Keystone service, and it'll be quicker than the new sets, so it may bide Amtrak some time.
  by 8th Notch

I’m pretty sure the AEM7s weren’t purchased by Keolis, IIRC the actual private owner was never fully disclosed. The last I heard awhile ago was the T possibly testing ACS64s but that never came to fruition. With the Siemens sets on the horizon, I’d be surprised if Amtrak put any significant work into the HHP8s to get them running .
  by rohr turbo

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:37 pm Take Amtrak's AEM-7's (and include MARC's and SEPTA's)... and send them out to Caltrain...
Caltrain has purchased two AEM-7s from Amtrak and they're stored in San Francisco now. But these are just for testing and possibly emergency/rescue use. Revenue equipment for electric operations will be new EMUs. maybe in 2024 or 2025?
  by west point

Caltrain: Not all Caltrain service will be EMUs. The 5 Gilroy train sets from SFO in the afternoon and returning in the morning will remain diesel. SFO yard will become crowded once service is fully in operation + CA HSR will also be there. Caltrain may not want to keep a spare diesel at SFO for possible diesel failures. The electric motor(s) would be a good backup and could tow the conventional equipment with a change to diesel at San Jose. They might also be capable of pulling a broken EMU to San Jose.?
  by ApproachMedium

8th Notch wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:58 pm I’m pretty sure the AEM7s weren’t purchased by Keolis, IIRC the actual private owner was never fully disclosed. The last I heard awhile ago was the T possibly testing ACS64s but that never came to fruition. With the Siemens sets on the horizon, I’d be surprised if Amtrak put any significant work into the HHP8s to get them running .
I know the private owners, as I am one of them. The business of the future of the 15 is possibly bright. The one Caltran unit was painted as some have seen on social media. The merits of use of these beyond testing is being discussed. IF the second unit is livened up, this will be explored further. There are people working hard to ensure this success. The AEM 7 AC still shares many many critical propulsion electronic parts with the newest acela sets and should make bringing them into the future that much easier other than the ye olde bodies.
  by ApproachMedium

I will also add, that amtraks constant need to shop ACS 64s because of their plague of bugs and other such problems will likely prevent them from being leased to any agency anytime soon.
  by daybeers

ApproachMedium wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:38 am I will also add, that amtraks constant need to shop ACS 64s because of their plague of bugs and other such problems will likely prevent them from being leased to any agency anytime soon.
Oh dear. What's the MDBF these days?

All this talk of Hippo cab cars is very interesting. I should be down in New Haven later this week and will report if I see any in the yard.
  by ApproachMedium

Apparently it isnt so hot because lots of them get parked all the time. 3 are captive to sunnyside right now, providing ground power and ground air. Q tower hasnt had a working air compressor in over a week so the 642 has gloriously been providing the honors of being hidden from the public and making sure the switches will throw.

All 3 have some kind of problem keeping them out of service but justified that they can provide HEP and air to the parked junk in the yard.