Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1584864  by Bracdude181

Was probably a guy with a train horn on his truck. That goes on around Farmingdale and Lakewood it seems, or at least in my experience.

Hopefully they run back next Sunday as well. Would like another chance at catching the funny graffiti on those boxcars lol.
 #1584876  by R&DB

Howell Ice Arena is on Rte 524 ot far from Earle NWS. The horn could have been an Earle engine.
 #1584889  by Coast Line Railfan

This past weekend, Pine Creek Railroad (NJMT) on the far side of I-195 was running their 55-tonner, which has an RS3L, thus why he can hear it that far. A few friends have heard it as far as Wall Speedway, and onto the other side of Route 34 in the other direction.
 #1584930  by Bracdude181

So I’ve been wondering.

It’s been discussed on here and a few other topics about ROW encroachment along the Freehold Industrial Track west of Farmingdale, and how people can get in trouble for it.

But here’s the thing. The Freehold to Farmingdale section of the line is abandoned. Conrail filed to abandon it in spring of 2013. Below is a link to the STB filing.

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... /43017.pdf

So if this changes anything how does it? Been hearing that C&D and a few people in the area along the tracks have been getting into land disputes. (I have my doubts about that though) Satellite imagery shows the line runs pretty close to some farmlands and few places have put stuff on the tracks by the looks of it.
 #1584933  by CR7876

Page 2, sub note #2 : Because applicants are seeking to discontinue service, not to abandon the line,
trail use/rail banking and public use conditions are not appropriate. Likewise, no
environmental or historic documentation is required here under 49 C.F.R. § 1105.6(c) and
49 C.F.R § 1105.8(b), respectively.

Conrail/NS/CSX are no longer required to provide common carrier service, this the exemption they filed for and was granted by the STB. The line is still " A Railroad" . It shouldn't change much, just an additional filing or longer one to re-establish a common carrier to that portion if/when a customer should want service.
 #1584934  by CharlieL

They filed for a discontinuance of service. The section they filed under is for discontinuance OR abandonment. I believe NJT/DOT own it; that being the case, conrail would not be able to "abandon" it, which implies releasing ownership. They just did not want to operate over it any longer.
 #1584936  by R&DB

The FIT between Oakerson Rd and Farmingdale is Officially OOS (Out of Service). I personally spoke to NJT about this about 4 years ago. It is not abandoned, just OOS. And this discussion belongs in the FIT topic.
 #1584945  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:08 pm The FIT between Oakerson Rd and Farmingdale is Officially OOS (Out of Service). I personally spoke to NJT about this about 4 years ago. It is not abandoned, just OOS. And this discussion belongs in the FIT topic.
That being said, if/when C&D reconnects the FIT and our beloved Southern, will they be merged into one line or will they still be legally two separate entities? I'm wondering this especially if Red Bank-Farmingdale falls into discontinuation of service
 #1584951  by CR7876

JohnFromJersey wrote:
R&DB wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:08 pm The FIT between Oakerson Rd and Farmingdale is Officially OOS (Out of Service). I personally spoke to NJT about this about 4 years ago. It is not abandoned, just OOS. And this discussion belongs in the FIT topic.
That being said, if/when C&D reconnects the FIT and our beloved Southern, will they be merged into one line or will they still be legally two separate entities? I'm wondering this especially if Red Bank-Farmingdale falls into discontinuation of service
What if, the lease says that the railroad must remain at a certain class standard. Problem solved.
 #1584979  by R&DB

#1584951 by CR7876
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:20 pm
What if, the lease says that the railroad must remain at a certain class standard. Problem solved.
Remain at Class 0 (excepted)? How about a clause in the lease that says at least Class 2?
Last edited by R&DB on Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.