• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CharlieL

For the reasons noted above about small / short line railroads (starting at the financial edge) I don't think there's a chance in hades of D&D signing anything that would force them to upgrade to class 2 standards. With the work they already need to do that would be a deal killer. And there's no way conrail will do it.
  by RailsEast

What if.....the C&D (parent company of all their NJ roads) were waiting, along with Clayton Companies, for the President to sign the 1.2 Trillion dollar Infrastructure Bill (which he just has) to release the billions of dollars needed (11.6 billion as of today) to fund The Tunnel Project?

Although I'm sure any official groundbreaking is still a couple of years off, it would seem that this massive project has enough balls (and $$) beneath it to begin the long, slow process to completion.

Disclaimer: I have no inside info, but, with the grant awarded to the RR and the Bill signed, one can only have a new and positive outlook for the SOUS. And no need for Class 2 track; far too much money to justify that (unless it becomes part of MOM, which is another subject for another forum in the very distant future).
Just my .02,
Chris
  by R&DB

My mention of Class 2 was only a retort to CR7876's comment about a fantasy clause in the lease contract. It was not meant to be serious. Although being able to ru faster would help whoever the eventual operator is.
  by JohnFromJersey

RailsEast wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:44 pm What if.....the C&D (parent company of all their NJ roads) were waiting, along with Clayton Companies, for the President to sign the 1.2 Trillion dollar Infrastructure Bill (which he just has) to release the billions of dollars needed (11.6 billion as of today) to fund The Tunnel Project?

Although I'm sure any official groundbreaking is still a couple of years off, it would seem that this massive project has enough balls (and $$) beneath it to begin the long, slow process to completion.

Disclaimer: I have no inside info, but, with the grant awarded to the RR and the Bill signed, one can only have a new and positive outlook for the SOUS. And no need for Class 2 track; far too much money to justify that (unless it becomes part of MOM, which is another subject for another forum in the very distant future).
Just my .02,
Chris
Wonder how long it will be before anyone sees that money. I could see private operators of the SOUS like NJSL and C&D upgrading the lines further in the future to accommodate some sort of NJT rail expansion.

Not sure what NJSL's track is rated from Lakehurst-Woodmansie but from the pictures, I'd say it's already Class 2.
  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey Not sure if it’s Class 2 but it’s F A R better then the active portion of the Southern Secondary. At the very least good for 15 MPH along most of the line.
  by Bracdude181

SA31 permission to open up at 3:38 PM.

CSX 4451 leading with CSX 4405 trailing. Car count and destinations unknown.
  by Bracdude181

Lined and Locked Normal 3:51 PM
  by Bracdude181

Clear of bank interlocking on the Southern Secondary 4:39 PM
  by Bracdude181

The LRS boxcar from two weeks ago is back and it’s at the head end, so I’m almost certain that’s for Extech

Lengthy train for Woodhaven (15-18 cars) and the tank at the end for our mystery customer.
  by RailsEast

17 lumber (not sure if one is for Marjam) with a car for Extech and a tank. Eatontown at 5:00 in the pm.
  by CR7876

RailsEast wrote:17 lumber (not sure if one is for Marjam) with a car for Extech and a tank. Eatontown at 5:00 in the pm.
1 Extech
1 Brick Recycling ( or whoever)
17 Woodhavens
  by Bracdude181

SA31 working Extech at 6:04 PM
  by CR7876

R&DB wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:26 pm My mention of Class 2 was only a retort to CR7876's comment about a fantasy clause in the lease contract. It was not meant to be serious. Although being able to ru faster would help whoever the eventual operator is.
That's fine. My point was merely to point out to John that if the FIT is rebuilt, yes Bank to MP 48.0 is probably not going to be used, but I find it hard to believe that all three party's will allow it to become as bad as the oos FIT is now.

I think Class 2 is the goal, but Rome wasn't built in a day.
  by Bracdude181

@CR7876 IF the FIT is rebuilt??? Are they thinking about not doing it now???
  by CharlieL

No notice of exemption filed yet, major (and I mean Major) change in the cost structure to proceed with the redo Okerson Rd to RR ave Farmingdale of the FIT, so who knows? I would estimate an increase of 5 - 10% in the cost, all of it to be borne by D&D since the grant amount is fixed. We'll see, but I'm hopeful.