Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1584163  by Bracdude181

@R&DB Yes with room to spare. The train was stopped on the other side of the road for 20 minutes before they went past so I’m wondering if they were trying to call and see if the car was cleared. Will try to see if they drop it at Woodhaven or not.
 #1584168  by Bracdude181

Jitney was at Woodhaven but there was no SA38 inside. Train flew past without stopping. If SA38 doesn’t show up later then I guess they will go back either tomorrow or this weekend.
 #1584171  by Bracdude181

There’s a problem at Cross Street. Utility workers installed a wire above the tracks but they installed it too low for the train to pass safely. They are unable to use the siding. Unsure where they will go from here. Pictures to follow shortly.
 #1584185  by Tanker1497

Its of my opinion that wire was NOT installed by any JCPL crew! They are well trained in the rules of clearance about right aways and road ways. In some area's of Lakewood they put permanent Erue's* that they don't want to replace.
Conductor Clearance
A Phase 18ft Applies to phase wires 22kV and below. For voltages above 22kV phase-to-ground, see NESC Rules 232C and 232D.
B Neutral15.5 ft Applies to neutrals meeting NESC Rule 230E1.
C Secondary 16.0 ft Applies to secondaries 750V or less meeting NESC Rule 230C2 or 230C3 (triplex, quadruplex, etc.).
D Communication 15.5 ft Applies to cable TV, phone, fiber optic cables.
Railroad might be as high as 50ft?

*An eruv is a symbolic boundary created with a string of fishing wire typically hung from a series of utility poles or other structures. The eruv creates a safe space for Orthodox Jews to carry certain items they otherwise would be forbidden to carry while outside the home on the Sabbath
 #1584187  by R&DB

*An eruv is a symbolic boundary created with a string of fishing wire typically hung from a series of utility poles or other structures. The eruv creates a safe space for Orthodox Jews to carry certain items they otherwise would be forbidden to carry while outside the home on the Sabbath
Looking closely at the photo, that's not fishing line.
Last edited by R&DB on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1584188  by Bracdude181

Now I’m not a lineman but what exactly are these low wires on poles for? Usually the lower wires are for communication like Tanker says but I always see these wires on poles and they are always the lowest to the ground.

I have no idea who put it in but the wire wasn’t there last week.
 #1584191  by Bracdude181

Actually...

@Tanker1497 Is it possible the wire was put up by an outside crew? I’ve seen other companies working on lines within JCPL territory ever since that tropical storm a while ago.
 #1584197  by Tanker1497

It was not my intent to sell the wire as a piece of fishing line. JCPL does erect permanent erue's. However I took a ride this wire runs the length of the track from the direction of Lakehurst. The height is constant it crosses the tracks goes around the sub station and continues. The wire was erected by a professional crew.
This same type wire can be seen in other area's of town.
I believe it might be a ground? This may have been why they cleared tracks in Lakehurst so as to installed?
Last edited by Tanker1497 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1584213  by Tanker1497

CharlieL wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:21 am Communications (optimum or similar)? Almost certainly not ATT as they seem to bury all theirs.
No definitely not a cable phone wire! Its a bare #4 the type used to secure leaning poles. This wire it not being used to prevent that type of issue and it looks to be 15.5 feet off the ground or more. I viewed that same wire at Whitesville rd. but later in the town at locations not near the tracks. I am not sure they all connect but they are all the same type.
 #1584219  by Bracdude181

&Tanker1497 I knew that wire was for keeping poles from leaning. Again though it wasn’t there last week and none of those poles over there lean too much.

The real question is who installed it and why is it so low to the ground? I’m not sure how high up Conrail says a wire needs to be above the tracks but if it was low enough that the train couldn’t get past then any sort of height requirement was either unknown or ignored.
 #1584223  by Tanker1497

I wasn't there when they arrived so I not sure they tried to pass underneath the wire? A GP-40 is 15'.0" to 15'.5" above the rails. So from where I viewed the wire its close enought not to try! I drove down the path to look. I was there twice at 7:30am and 9:30am and no one was jumping through hoops to address the issue.