• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 They can back up to Woodhaven or the siding in downtown Lakewood to turn around, but we won’t know until later. For what it’s worth I don’t blame the crew for not trying to squeeze under the wire. God forbid they misjudge the height of the train and pull the power lines down!

Would chase them back but after spending the last two days putting hundreds of miles on my car chasing trains maybe a good break is in order. At least until tomorrow’s South Jersey trip lol.

Edit: There is one boxcar on the train that’s higher than the engines. A green Plate E IBTX boxcar towards the middle of the train is a few inches higher than the engines. I think it was 16 feet tall at the highest point? Practically the biggest car they can bring past South Amboy.
  by cx4storm

I'm picking up HOT/EOT packets. NO motion indicated yet.
  by Bracdude181

@cx4storm Thank you for the heads up. Considering what time it is this is probably SA31 picking it up. Could you perhaps let us know if they reverse at any point if possible? Thanks again.
  by cx4storm

Unfortunately, the data only states whether the device is in stationary or in motion. It doesn't indicate which direction it's moving.
  by Bracdude181

@cx4storm Darn. Oh well, thank you regardless.
  by cx4storm

@Bracdude181

You're welcome. I just decoded a dozen EOT packets in the last few minutes. There was a 9 second period of movement, but looks like it's back to being stationary again.
  by Bracdude181

@cx4storm That might’ve been their brake test.
  by cx4storm

BP - Brake Pipe Pressure (PSI)
MOT - Motion Status (1 Moving - 0 Stationary)
MRK - Marker Light Status (1 On - 0 Off)
BATST - Battery Status (OK, LO, DE, NM: Not Monitored)
BATCU - Battery Charge Used (0 - 100)
TRB - Air Turbine Equipped (1 Yes - 0 No)
CMD - Command (SRQ: Status Request - EMR: Emergency)
TYP - Message Type (NRM: Normal - ARM: ARM Button Actuated)
VLV - Emergency Valve Health (1 Functioning Properly - 0 Not Functioning Prop.)
CNF - Two-Way Link Confirmation (1 Rspnse to SRQ or EMR - 0 Unsolicited Pkt.)
  by Tanker1497

I'm at Cross St. The train is gone. I'm not sure they can run around the train in 30 minutes? But I drove by woodhaven and did not see them working it. If they are in down town lakewood working the train at this hour.. what a mess.
  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 Yes. Lakewood on Friday is awful. Chances are they turned around at Woodhaven and got that done.
  by cx4storm

I'm receiving a lot of packets, but there hasn't been any motion indicated for almost an hour now.
  by Bracdude181

@cx4storm Highly unusual for them to still be near the Ocean/Monmouth county border so long after beginning the run. Perhaps they had a problem? Those two engines have seen better days...
  by Coast Line Railfan

Train is coming up to Shrewsbury now.
  by cx4storm

@Bracdude181

Well, anything is possible, especially around these parts. I have good reception from Old Tavern Rd. all the way down to Woodhaven, so they were obviously somewhere between those 2 points.

The last packet I received was at 1930 Hrs. (7:30 PM).
  by RailsEast

SA-31 at Bank, ok east on signal indication at 10:16 in the pm.