• Corona virus impacts on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by SouthernRailway

Given very light loads on trains, if a reserved train doesn’t have anyone getting on or off at a station, does Amtrak even have the train stop at the station now? Seems like a waste of effort to do so especially if the train is late.

For example, if nobody boards a northbound long-distance train at Washington, why wouldn’t it leave as soon as the locomotive change is done?
  by Jeff Smith

SouthernRailway wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:56 am Given very light loads on trains, if a reserved train doesn’t have anyone getting on or off at a station, does Amtrak even have the train stop at the station now? Seems like a waste of effort to do so especially if the train is late.

For example, if nobody boards a northbound long-distance train at Washington, why wouldn’t it leave as soon as the locomotive change is done?
Last minute ticket sale on the app?
  by Jeff Smith

SouthernRailway wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:58 am The Crescent has been running with one sleeper and one baggage-dorm. There have been maybe 2 or 3 occupied rooms in the sleeper. Why not just go ahead and take the sleeper offline so that it can be refurbished (it’s looking pretty ragged inside) and sell rooms in the baggage-diem? They look pretty nice.
There are already fewer sleepers on the trains that can be serviced; there's no need to pull them ALL off. And does Amtrak have enough personnel available to suddenly start rehabbing everything?
  by SouthernRailway

Fair points but (1) on my most recent trips only 1 to 3 rooms in sleepers were occupied but the train had a sleeper and a baggage-dorm, and everyone could have fit in the baggage-dorm and (2) perhaps Amtrak could use some stimulus money now to expedite sleeper rehabs?
  by gokeefe

If they're running late that doesn't necessarily mean the track ahead is going to be held open for them. They would have to wait for a clear indication of course. I think CSX dispatches from Union Station south. Given the constraints of that location I doubt Amtrak would be able to depart as soon as they're ready. I would imagine dispatch would wait for them to ask for clearance to proceed and then line them up for the next available track slot.
  by nomis

So you want to remove the ADA sleeping availability of a bedroom, just because?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Skymba, I've observed enough five car "CV consists" of #3 and #4 with only a T-Dorm in such. I guess any such requirement is off the table "for The Duration".
  by exvalley

Sorry to post this here, but is anyone else getting “access denied” when they try to access a forum? This thread was in my cache and it’s the only thing I can access.
  by gokeefe

Yes. Same here, I'm sure it's being addressed.
  by SouthernRailway

nomis wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:31 pm So you want to remove the ADA sleeping availability of a bedroom, just because?
Because nobody needing a bedroom is buying a ticket--that seems like a valid basis, right?
  by ThirdRail7

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:52 pm
SouthernRailway wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:58 am The Crescent has been running with one sleeper and one baggage-dorm. There have been maybe 2 or 3 occupied rooms in the sleeper. Why not just go ahead and take the sleeper offline so that it can be refurbished (it’s looking pretty ragged inside) and sell rooms in the baggage-diem? They look pretty nice.
I would not be surprised if there's FRA regulations against using crew dorms as passenger sleepers...

...or that the dorms are already full with crew.
There is definitely a federal regulation prohibiting using the bag dorms in revenue service.
SouthernRailway wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:11 pm
nomis wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:31 pm So you want to remove the ADA sleeping availability of a bedroom, just because?
Because nobody needing a bedroom is buying a ticket--that seems like a valid basis, right?
The fact that no one is using the ADA room is irrelevant. There is a federal regulation that states if you sell room space, the car must have an ADA accessible room...with a bathroom that is directly accessible. The crew dorms are not ADA compliant since they were not intended for passenger use.

Subpart F, Intercity (Amtrak) Rail Cars and Systems

I'll Cliff Note the relevant parts but the entire regulation is worthy of reading. Part E is worthwhile too.

<snip>

1192.111 General
(a) New, used and remanufactured intercity rail cars, to be considered accessible by regulations issued by the Department of Transportation in 49 CFR Part 37, shall comply with this subpart to the extent required for each type of car as specified below.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires new or used rail cars that are purchased or leased after August 25, 1990, to be accessible. A public entity may purchase or lease a used intercity rail car for use on its system that is not readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities, if after making demonstrated good faith efforts to obtain an accessible car, it is unable to do so. See 49 CFR §37.87(c) for a description of what constitutes good faith efforts.

<snip>

(6) Sleeper cars shall comply with §§1192.113(b) through (d), 1192.115 through 1192.121, and 1192.125, and have at least one compartment which can be entered and used by a person using a wheelchair or mobility aid and complying with §1192.127.

Sleeper cars are fully subject to all sections except portions of those pertaining to doorways (1192.113) and wheelchair seating and storage spaces (1192.125(d). Although the section on restrooms is not referenced by this provision, the section on sleeping compartments (1192.127) requires that accessible compartments contain a restroom complying with 1192.123 which can be entered from the compartment.

<snip>

§1192.127 Sleeping compartments
(a) Sleeping compartments required to be accessible shall be designed so as to allow a person using a wheelchair or mobility aid to enter, maneuver within and approach and use each element within such compartment. (See Fig. 5)

(b) Each accessible compartment shall contain a restroom complying with §1192.123(a) which can be entered directly from such compartment.

FWIW, changing the designation from Sleeping Car to Day Room car or something of that nature does not nullify the regulation.
SouthernRailway wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:56 am Given very light loads on trains, if a reserved train doesn’t have anyone getting on or off at a station, does Amtrak even have the train stop at the station now? Seems like a waste of effort to do so especially if the train is late.
If the train is scheduled to stop, it must come to a complete stop...then depart unless relieved of the requirement by a written or verbal directive.
SouthernRailway wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:56 am For example, if nobody boards a northbound long-distance train at Washington, why wouldn’t it leave as soon as the locomotive change is done?
It can as long as it is not a scheduled stop to receive passengers. LD trains may leave as soon as it is done. A regional would not be able to leave.
  by SouthernRailway

Excellent post, ThirdRail7- thank you!
  by Tadman

The south end of 58/59 has been a bit confusing to say the least. Over the weekend the website listed 58/59 as terminating in McComb and showed them as "service disruption" but guess what cruised by right on time? Both 58 and 59, with two motors and 8 cars. This despite the Bonnet Carre Spillway being open for a week now and Corona?

Also, something in the terminal had three motors Saturday afternoon, I suppose it's the Sunset.
  by Gilbert B Norman

ThirdRail7 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:42 pmThe fact that no one is using the ADA room is irrelevant. There is a federal regulation that states if you sell room space, the car must have an ADA accessible room...with a bathroom that is directly accessible.
Mr. Third Rail, while who am I to question documentation provided by one who in all certainty is presently active in the industry, I can only reiterate my observations of the Chief with only a #390XX T-Dorm in consist.

Either Amtrak has received waivers "for the Duration", or they are simply flaunting the Reg.

I'm sure this is hardly the first time in the agency's fifty year history THAT has occurred. Lest anyone think my road "would ever stoop to that level", how many times did I learn of the Traffic Department saying, "f^^^ the Tariff; this is what we're gonna do".

Otherwise, several sites have reports that "Boxed" meals are being provided to Sleeper passengers on the Chief. To me "Boxed" is even lower than "Flex" as the latter is at least hot and served in plastic rather than paperware.
  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:50 am Mr. Third Rail, while who am I to question documentation provided by one who in all certainty is presently active in the industry, I can only reiterate my observations of the Chief with only a #390XX T-Dorm in consist.

Either Amtrak has received waivers "for the Duration", or they are simply flaunting the Reg.
Likely the latter. I can see if there was no passengers for the trip up and back.