Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#132883  by byte

Hmm, what's the deal with those National Park Service-owned cars, anyway? From what I've gathered, they were purchased with the intention of running them in and around National Park Service facilities, but to my knowledge, that's never come into fruitition. Seeing as how they're not even cared for by the NPS (which, from what I understand, has an extremely shaky financial situation), why hasn't ownership ever been transferred over to those who are actually running them?

#132906  by MikeF

byte wrote:Seeing as how they're not even cared for by the NPS (which, from what I understand, has an extremely shaky financial situation), why hasn't ownership ever been transferred over to those who are actually running them?
Because the NPS still officially has plans for them. But you're right, nothing is likely to ever happen. I can't go into full detail here, but ownership may be transferred in the future.

#132969  by dinwitty

like any other cars they need restoration for sure.

Its good the South Shore has carried on, with talks of expanding passeneger operation thats a good sign.

#148755  by n012944

Frankly, I think it's enough to know that the 803 is operable and can be run -- albeit inconveniently -- on occasion, but let it be a display piece most of the time. Same goes for the M.U. cars, although it's easier to make them run on the lower voltage. If I can do anything about it, you may see one of them (40) running occasionally in the not-so-distant future. But I don't think you'll ever see a 1500 v line at IRM or any other museum around here. Be glad that the old stuff will run at all on 600 v -- the current NICTD equipment will only be a static display without the higher voltage.
Has there been any thought to doing an excursion on the South Shore? Since the 803 is operational would it be that hard use a couple of the RI and Lackawana coaches and run an excursion from say the end of IC tracks to South Bend? I do not know how the NITCD would respond but it is at least a thought.

#148816  by byte

n012944 wrote:Has there been any thought to doing an excursion on the South Shore? Since the 803 is operational would it be that hard use a couple of the RI and Lackawana coaches and run an excursion from say the end of IC tracks to South Bend? I do not know how the NITCD would respond but it is at least a thought.
That would depend on whether or not NICTD has changed the electrical system that powers the line. Since it's only powered passenger cars since the early 80s, there's a very good chance they may have taken off-line the transformers the SS put there, and replaced them with something with less capacity (but enough to adequetely run the passenger trains), seeing as how electric freight operations were done with.

#148843  by Tadman

There were some portable substations that were removed in the 1980's, but I think that coincided with the renovation of existing permanent substations. Besides, with the 2-hour intervals on the weekend, one joe kept to low amp draw (think one pan only, moderate speeds) could draw something less than max amp draw during rush hour, which sees 2-3 8-car trains running in the same area.

#149249  by dinwitty

consider the restrictions the 800's had, I don't think they ran up the line that goes to the airport.

much of the freight use wire is down in south bend now, poles are still there.
Prolly another just in case scenario...

The train would have to stop short of going into South Bend on the last passing siding for passenger use.
Thats to run around the train for reverse direction.

But then you also have to tug the 800 over non-electrified track to ready it for the SS.

Aat one time the IC was concerned about the new cars and the addition of more cars to the train and power use, The SS went to the IC and proved it would work OK.

You may need to have a diesel assist with the 800 in case of breakdowns anyways, even tho the 800 could pull the drawbars off every steamer around... :-D

#150346  by CSS&SB702

Near the end of their service, the 800s did use the tracks that now run to the South Bend airport. I could see these tracks from my house, and spent many years watching the electric freight engines do their switching at Weyerhauser, General Liquors, and Simon Bros., and also at Kuert Concrete. The siding that leads to the first 3 businesses is now abandoned. :(

#151299  by Tadman

Any pics? I love pics of CSS in south bend, but they are rare. Also, how was freight interchanged in Chicago - did 800's run on IC electric? I've never seen pics of that, so I'm guessing IC geeps picked up at Kensington yard. Also, is that used for anything now?

#151510  by dinwitty

I dont believe the 800's hit the IC line as it was strictly passenger.
I would believe they worked anywhere major freight was hauled.
There were areas of the line where they were restricted and could not run. They couldnt run into downtown South Bend.

#152097  by CSS&SB702

I have a photo taken in 1952 that shows a Little Joe hauling 2 trailers on a railfan special on LaSalle St in downtown South Bend. But that was a special trip, they normally didn't go into town. Does anybody know how to post pictures on this board? Or if anybody's interested, I'll email them the pic. :-)

#152104  by MikeF

CSS&SB702 wrote:Does anybody know how to post pictures on this board?
You can't post a picture directly to the forum. You need to find somewhere to host it (such as Photobucket), then use the Img button on the posting form here to link to the image. Or, send me an e-mail and I'd be happy to do it for you.

#152210  by dinwitty

CSS&SB702 wrote:I have a photo taken in 1952 that shows a Little Joe hauling 2 trailers on a railfan special on LaSalle St in downtown South Bend. But that was a special trip, they normally didn't go into town. Does anybody know how to post pictures on this board? Or if anybody's interested, I'll email them the pic. :-)
its like the electroliner never went to Mundelin except on one fan trip...

I'm sure the power supply was adequate to run it.

#152302  by Tadman

The issue with 800's in South Bend's downtown was not power, but the LaSalle street bridge, between the last station downtown and the yard further east, was not equipped to handle the massive 800's weight. 800's could run to the station, just not over the bridge and into the yard.

#152508  by MikeF

Here are two pictures of the fantrip with 803 and two trailers on Aug. 10, 1952, courtesy of CSS&SB702: