Railroad Forums 

• Attica-End of Track-3-23-17

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1426252  by ctclark1

When I was in school as a young lad (90's) it was uncommon but did happen occasionally that the long line of buses from the high school would have to wait for the local to cross. What was even more fun was when they were switching the yard and barely approached 238, but it was enough to freak out every bus driver in the line and each one would hesitate for a bit before deciding they could cross even though the lights weren't activated. Both scenarios made for quite the gridlock in good ol' downtown Attica. (This was back when the crossing lights still worked... Later I remember watching a flagman run from Favor to Main to Pearl to flag them all.)
 #1426285  by JoeS

Regarding "eating with a view" you can also get food to go at one of the aforementioned places and park in the lot off Exchange St, by the old depot. I have done this on numerous occasions.
 #1426334  by ctclark1

Be advised that the depot and the a portion of the lot (not sure how far it extends from said depot) is NS property, also note that the building behind the lot (built into the hill) is the Attica DPW and Police Station. Some of the officers are more lax than others but there's some that are pretty bad. Also the garbage/recycling transfer station uses the driveway through that lot so Saturdays and Tuesdays will have a lot of thru traffic in the lot.

It's not a bad idea, just some things to watch out for.
 #1448825  by SST

After delivering my boat for storage, my friend and I traveled to Attica for dinner. I checked out the map to see which restaurant would be the best choice. The Attica Hotel or Nino's. As we drove through town, I drove past both places. We ended up at Nino's. It was so nice, sunny and 70, I thought we'd sit on the tailgate with a pizza and wait for a train. We ended up sitting inside. They have a great view. 2 tables at the big window. Window was clean, not a smudge mark on it. The new bridge was clearly in site. NIno's offers a great view rain or shine.

We didn't catch a train while eating but as we walked out, I turned around and see the last 1/3 of a stack train headed east. Still going pretty slow and my friend said he couldn't hear it. Said it was very quiet. If anybody goes to Attica, I recommend Nino's and get the tables by the window.

BTW, the pizza was delicious!

The last several cars going over the new bridge:
https://youtu.be/9CgtD2C_mhE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1448835  by ctclark1

Trains are still traveling slowly through the village as work continues on the Tonawanda Creek bridge, next to the Rt98 Overpass that was just replaced.
Nino's and a number of other businesses along Market (Louie's Lounge, I can personally attest) are actually fairly well soundproofed against the outside world, additionally due to the slower speeds the L-L-S-L horn pattern isn't being started on eastbounds until they're on or past the creek which would be another reason why you may have not heard this. Typically with eastbounds when they're travelling normal speeds (30 I believe due to the curve between 98 and Exchange St) the pattern is started shortly after they cross West Ave, which means you normally would still hear this from a building on Market once the work in the area is completed.