• Perks, Rooms, & Roomettes: Tips, Strategies, & Notes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

Jeff Smith wrote:So, I'm booking a trip SAV - WAS - CHI - NOL (98 - 29 - 59). I'm going to get a Roomette redeeming points. Two segments will be Superliner. Assuming I have a choice, upper or lower level room?

Upper for the view
Lower if you're susceptible to the swaying or want less noise (since people won't be walking through the car)

My vote is upper though.
  by Jeff Smith

They assigned me Upper. Awesome. This will be great! Now I've got to work on my pickup skills for the Diner/Café cars LOL. As an aside, 20,000 points for two zones; next year's system it would have been 34,673 (based on $1,005 fare).
  by Greg Moore

Jeff Smith wrote:They assigned me Upper. Awesome. This will be great! Now I've got to work on my pickup skills for the Diner/Café cars LOL. As an aside, 20,000 points for two zones; next year's system it would have been 34,673 (based on $1,005 fare).
The cafe cars are pretty heavy. Good luck picking them up! Good work out however.
Last edited by Greg Moore on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jeff Smith

Quick note: I just reviewed my ticket, and the web-site. The ticket doesn't mention access to Acela or Met lounges, but apparently they're included with sleeper accommodations.
  by Greg Moore

Jeff Smith wrote:Quick note: I just reviewed my ticket, and the web-site. The ticket doesn't mention access to Acela or Met lounges, but apparently they're included with sleeper accommodations.
Yes, since you're considered a first class passenger. Just show your ticket.
  by electricron

Jeff Smith wrote:So, I'm booking a trip SAV - WAS - CHI - NOL (98 - 29 - 59). I'm going to get a Roomette redeeming points. Two segments will be Superliner. Assuming I have a choice, upper or lower level room? I'd assume upper.
If you don't have mobility problems, I'll agree upper level is better.
  by ExCon90

Jeff Smith wrote:They assigned me Upper. Awesome. This will be great! Now I've got to work on my pickup skills for the Diner/Café cars LOL. As an aside, 20,000 points for two zones; next year's system it would have been 34,673 (based on $1,005 fare).
Netflix may have North By Northwest; some good tips there. Oh, right--you can't smoke in dining cars anymore.
  by Rockingham Racer

It must be something to do with your day of travel. I managed to fine a roomette on 3 separate days, but in October. Maybe you could try Amsnag?
  by SouthernRailway

Arlington wrote:I would really appreciate a chance to ask: how do I sneak 4 kids into a Room to Orlando? But I've asked the Mods to find a new thread (or was there some other thread this got quoted & diverted from)? NEC Future is almost the perfect opposite-topic from "Room & Roomette: Tips, Strategies, & Notes"
Wait a minute...you're constantly saying that sleeping cars and dining cars should be removed from trains, leaving them coach-only, due to your view that they lose a lot of money. You're asking how to "sneak 4 kids into a Room to Orlando"? To be consistent with your constant, constant threads, you should be in coach.
  by Jeff Smith

America's Amtrak (Facebook Group)

Interesting post on the above group:
How many 110 electric outlets are there on a viewliner roomette? I will be traveling on the Crescent in the very near future. Thanks.
The answers ranged from one to two. The suggestion for a power strip is well received.
  by Jeff Smith

I didn't see this on the Lounge page, but do they check carry-on's while you're in the lounge, or out and about while waiting for a connection? My potential 12 hour layover in Chicago would allow me to ride the Elevated; be easier without dragging luggage. Ditto DC, although that layover's not quite as long.
  by Greg Moore

Jeff Smith wrote:America's Amtrak (Facebook Group)

Interesting post on the above group:
How many 110 electric outlets are there on a viewliner roomette? I will be traveling on the Crescent in the very near future. Thanks.
The answers ranged from one to two. The suggestion for a power strip is well received.
I only know of ONE outlet, with two plugs (i.e. much like your standard home setup).

And the location is a bit of a pain every time you open/close the sink.
  by Amtk30

If I may chime in, the CUS Metropolitan Lounge has a staffed check room, at least the last time I was there. Should be able to check-in stuff and ride our wonderful "L." Regarding DC Acela lounge, there is a "self-serv" bag check-in room behind the check-in desk. I used it many times over the years. Hope this is helpful. :-)

Amtk30