• Perks, Rooms, & Roomettes: Tips, Strategies, & Notes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

Thanks! Good to hear that about checking; as for the outlets, that kind of confirms also what I've seen in that group. I'm checking Amazon for some "travel" surge strips. I always like to have my phone within reach. The pro's and cons of Viewliner vs. Superliner sleepers will be on my trip report.

Thanks again to all of the input on this page; it was a terrific suggestion to start it.
  by deathtopumpkins

Jeff,
I don't know about those stations, but I've left my carry on bags at PHL's baggage office for a day before, for a nominal fee (something like $1-$2), for the same purpose. So if for some reason you can't in the lounge, that would likely still be an option.
  by Greg Moore

Jeff Smith wrote:Thanks! Good to hear that about checking; as for the outlets, that kind of confirms also what I've seen in that group. I'm checking Amazon for some "travel" surge strips. I always like to have my phone within reach. The pro's and cons of Viewliner vs. Superliner sleepers will be on my trip report.

Thanks again to all of the input on this page; it was a terrific suggestion to start it.
A note on even "travel" surge strips. They can backfire. I found this out in coach once. I used to use one with my laptop. Was travelling, bit of a HEP issue.... car lost power.
Moved to next car.. same thing.

Got talking to a friend of mine who is more electronically minded than I am. He pointed out that travel surge strips often simply dump the extra current (like during a spike to ground (as opposed to blowing a fure or tripping a breaker).
Of course the coaches are protected by GFCI outlets. So everytime HEP surged, my (or possibly another) surge protector was probably dumping the extra current to ground and the GFCI was tripping, shutting off power to that side of the coach!
(I've since learned that in most (all?) cases, the GFCI outlet itself is in the bathroom, so resetting that can often cure a problem.)

I believe each Viewliner coach has its own GFCI outlet, so you should be ok.

But, be forewarned!
  by David Benton

surge protectors clamp at 260 volts or so here, so your 110 volt ones probably clamp at 130 volts or so . They dont dump extra current , they clamp everything to ground. I'm not sue this sudden dump is good for electronics either. theyre mainly good for sudden spikes caused by lightning.
The good news is most modern electronics have international power supplies. If you look at the rating plate , you'll probably see something like 90 -260 volts a.c , 45-65 hz. so your 110 volt supply is well within such a range. If it has such a rating , I wouldnt bother with surge protection myself.
If you are really worried , the best protection would be to purchase one of those large 5 volt lithuim battery packs, charge it , then disconnect from the power when using your device.
would also be handy for extra storage when you can't get near a power source.
  by Jeff Smith

Again, thanks for all the tips and insight. I have a few more questions, not just for myself, but for other members and lurkers.

- How many attendants are there typically per sleeper car?

- Is there a general convention for tipping? For instance, I'll leave a couple three bucks on the bathroom counter when staying in hotels each day. For sleepers, do you hand it to the attendant, leave it out on a counter, how is it best handled?

- The sleeper car page on Amtrak does list the following: Are there any other perks? I'm thinking, as in hotels, small soaps and shampoos. Just wondering if I should pack some of the ones I scarf up at hotels ;-) along the way.

Sleeping Accommodations
Yes. Sleeping car passengers are entitled to a range of hotel-like amenities, including fresh linen and towel service and complimentary bottled water. In addition, as Sleeper Service passengers, you and your companions enjoy access during your voyage to ClubAcela and Amtrak Metropolitan Lounges located at select stations.
  by Hamhock

Jeff Smith wrote:Again, thanks for all the tips and insight. I have a few more questions, not just for myself, but for other members and lurkers.

- Is there a general convention for tipping? For instance, I'll leave a couple three bucks on the bathroom counter when staying in hotels each day. For sleepers, do you hand it to the attendant, leave it out on a counter, how is it best handled?
I usually tip the attendant upon my departure, via the old "handshake with folded money" method. Usually somewhere between $10 to $20.
  by nomis

I will sometimes tip early in an overnight trip, get overall better service and once a room upgrade once which made Mrs. Nomis happy on an PHL-ORL silver trip (made with AGR points no less).