Railroad Forums 

• Athearn LIRR MP15AC announcement

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1295008  by nyandw

No Door Light wrote:Athearn is releasing LIRR MP15AC's in the blue and white paint scheme, thought you guys might be interested. The LIRR units are on page 3 of the announcement. http://www.athearn.com/newsletter/09261 ... 092914.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks! Here's the image: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/temp/w ... engine.jpg
 #1295378  by Backshophoss

When LIRR did the "repaint",didn't bother to sand blast the carbody or prep it for paint,
you got what they paid for,the current "horror" show paint job. :P

You had the option of oil bath or paper air filters back then,Athearn might be using
the more common version(paper air filters).
 #1295541  by Backshophoss

A light dusting of soot,and a little dusting of dirt on the underframe and trucks is whats needed,
for that "in service" look when in psgr service back in the'70's-early '80's
 #1295572  by nyandw

Backshophoss wrote:A light dusting of soot,and a little dusting of dirt on the underframe and trucks is whats needed,
for that "in service" look when in psgr service back in the'70's-early '80's
LIRR #151 Oyster Bay 03-83 Photo: John Volpi

LIRR #152 Oyster Bay 09-14-86 Photo: Al Castelli

LIRR #150 Jamaica 1997 Photo: David Pirmann

The weathering depends on the unit... :wink:
 #1297443  by peanut1

I'll be ordering mine in a couple of days, doe anybody know if Athearn will offer the LIRR MP15's in the other colors they ran in? I am going to send off an email to them asking them to do a future run of the LIRR's SW1001 gray and orange diesels.
 #1298043  by LIRR272

peanut1 wrote:I'll be ordering mine in a couple of days, doe anybody know if Athearn will offer the LIRR MP15's in the other colors they ran in? I am going to send off an email to them asking them to do a future run of the LIRR's SW1001 gray and orange diesels.
A owner of a local hobby shop said they came in different colors too. I don't recall seeing MP15 in any other color other than the blue/white and the current scheme. What other colors did these units have?
 #1298121  by LIRR272

Forgot about that scheme. Actually I didn't know they were painted that way since most of the ones I saw went from blue and white to the current scheme. Thanks for the pic.
 #1298873  by rscott417

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely going to need one of these to go along with the P2K LIRR gp38-2 I just recently got on ebay.