• Athearn LIRR MP15AC announcement

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by No Door Light

Athearn is releasing LIRR MP15AC's in the blue and white paint scheme, thought you guys might be interested. The LIRR units are on page 3 of the announcement.

http://www.athearn.com/newsletter/09261 ... 092914.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by nyandw

No Door Light wrote:Athearn is releasing LIRR MP15AC's in the blue and white paint scheme, thought you guys might be interested. The LIRR units are on page 3 of the announcement. http://www.athearn.com/newsletter/09261 ... 092914.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks! Here's the image: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/temp/w ... engine.jpg
  by kro52

Greetings,
What is the rectangle box around the stack hood?? It was not on the LI's MP15ac.
KRO52
  by DaveBarraza

Come on Athearn! When's the last time any one saw an LIRR MP15 so shiny and new!

I want mine to look like this one!!!

by Backshophoss

When LIRR did the "repaint",didn't bother to sand blast the carbody or prep it for paint,
you got what they paid for,the current "horror" show paint job. :P

You had the option of oil bath or paper air filters back then,Athearn might be using
the more common version(paper air filters).
  by inthebag

Haha, a clean MP15 looks almost sacrilegious.
  by No Door Light

For that "realistic" look, time for some creative weathering. ๐Ÿ˜
  by Backshophoss

A light dusting of soot,and a little dusting of dirt on the underframe and trucks is whats needed,
for that "in service" look when in psgr service back in the'70's-early '80's
  by nyandw

Backshophoss wrote:A light dusting of soot,and a little dusting of dirt on the underframe and trucks is whats needed,
for that "in service" look when in psgr service back in the'70's-early '80's
LIRR #151 Oyster Bay 03-83 Photo: John Volpi

LIRR #152 Oyster Bay 09-14-86 Photo: Al Castelli

LIRR #150 Jamaica 1997 Photo: David Pirmann

The weathering depends on the unit... :wink:
  by peanut1

I'll be ordering mine in a couple of days, doe anybody know if Athearn will offer the LIRR MP15's in the other colors they ran in? I am going to send off an email to them asking them to do a future run of the LIRR's SW1001 gray and orange diesels.
  by LIRR272

peanut1 wrote:I'll be ordering mine in a couple of days, doe anybody know if Athearn will offer the LIRR MP15's in the other colors they ran in? I am going to send off an email to them asking them to do a future run of the LIRR's SW1001 gray and orange diesels.
A owner of a local hobby shop said they came in different colors too. I don't recall seeing MP15 in any other color other than the blue/white and the current scheme. What other colors did these units have?
  by LIRR272

Forgot about that scheme. Actually I didn't know they were painted that way since most of the ones I saw went from blue and white to the current scheme. Thanks for the pic.
  by scopelliti

Okay, just that that is not "gray and orange" unless I really need my eyes checked!
  by rscott417

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely going to need one of these to go along with the P2K LIRR gp38-2 I just recently got on ebay.