Railroad Forums 

• Manorville Branch- Connecting the Mainline and Montauk

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1286344  by nyandw

artman wrote:
452 Card wrote:Does anyone have info as to where to find actual remnants of the Manorville Branch? I'm interested in walking its remains.
Thanks.
Seems to be all here: http://www.lirrhistory.com/maneast.html
Robert Andersen has some wonderful material on his site, this is just a sample as provided above by Artman.

Here's my 2¢ worth: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/manorv ... rville.htm
Elevated exterior view from semaphore block signal showing connecting Manorville Branch. PT cabin viewed from signal mast looking west up the Manorville Branch (straight ahead) with Montauk Branch curving off to the left. Info: Dave Keller
PT Tower Eastport 1923 Photo: James V. Osborne Collection: Dave Keller
 #1286395  by emfinite

The east and west legs of the wye on the Mainline end of it can still be traced during Autumn just about near the MR block limit. Though the track is long gone, you can see an inset grade cutout of the surrounding landscape. Other than that, you won't find much remnants other than trails.
 #1286425  by jayrmli

Theres a good intact section as a trail between the LIE and the Long Island Game Farm. The trail begins at the LIE exit ramp exiting the expressway eastbound at Exit 70. There's a county trail sign marking the spot. It's a fairly straight easy walk that brings you out by the game farm, which was built over the old right of way. I think somewhere in there you can still see the remnants of an old milepost, but that's all that remains.
 #1286521  by workextra

Speaking about a possible mile post still in existence along that ripped up section, Is there any proof to factually identify that the mile post locations on the Montauk branch conform with their location along the Montauk Right of Way when measured from MP65 at Manorville (MR) east through MP 94 at Bridgehampton (BH) and MP115 at Montauk (MY)?

It appears plausible in theory, considering that the connection between the LIRR at PT and the South Side RR at Center Moriches Did not take place until after the LIRR had assumed control of the South Side RR which was after the LIRR had cut them off by building from Manorville to Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor before extending the line to Montauk a few years later.

Thank You for your insight.
 #1287285  by ErnieM

The ROW is still noticeable on Bing maps bird's eye view. Best way to see it is to first find the LI Game farm, and look NW and SE to see the vegetation change as the ROW shows up as a green strip.

North it goes in a straight line till 495 where it curves east to meet the main.

South is also fairly straight (one slight bend) until the farm east of Chapman Blvd. where it bends to the east. You loose it thru the farm but pick it up again by Rt 27 where it is a straight shot into the Montauk line.

(Sorry I can't get the large image to link.)
 #1287390  by 452 Card

C3 cab car. What a piece of crap designed by engineering without consultation with transportation reps. Its only a matter of time, when saner minds come to political power, to revise this f-up to be a worthy cab car. I hope the cost to correct it does not prevent it from happening. NoBellPrize is what us in the trenches called them. Duh, the MNR cars has them, why can't we? Oh, it costs too much to maintain it. Duh! again.
 #1287478  by EM2000

Actually the C3 is of the same design originally ordered by the MBTA, and later MARC and VRE. Besides the doors, and the garbage wheel slide system they are very good cars. Would have made sense if they ordered them with end doors like the other RR's did. You are right regarding Equipment Engineering and MofE totally disregarding Transportation. History has been an indicator of this. I'm sure you know the majority of the cab car fleet are equipped with E-Bells by now, an idea thought of, and researched by an LIRR Locomotive Engineer. Equipment Engineering won't tell you that.
 #1287779  by emfinite

Aside from a looking like a stainless steel, blue & yellow brick as well as the wheel slip system that EM2000 stated, they aren't that bad to operate. If all the Engineer's seats would swivel and have a working armrest like the engines did, we would be set. As far as practicality, the new NJT multi level cars have the C3s beat with the end doors and low platform capability. Operationally, I never ran the NJT stuff, so I couldn't comment.
 #1287794  by 452 Card

We are running off-topic, as a result of my earlier rant which belongs on another topic. My apologies for leading us into temptation, I will take the C3 stuff to another topic if anyone cares. Being a part of that team was painful.
I intend to find what looked like the fill that was the south end of the Manorville Branch as it merged into the Montauk. I remember running trains to MY and seeing what looked like a raised area of fill that began to parallel the MY branch as it approached the PT Curve. Last time I was out there they were building a community of some sort that I am sure will back up to the Montauk Branch, which might further disfigure the remains in the woods.