• Haverhill Line Upgrades (Western Route)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by gunsanplanes

I got out of work and was able to grab a couple of pics of the train left on the wye, not important but I just felt like putting up some pictures.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63152

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63153

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63154

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63155
  by BostonUrbEx

gunsanplanes wrote:I also saw that there were a couple of gondola cars and an old red caboose on the other side of the road up against the hopper cars that were there.
Just an FYI, in case you're color blind, but that is an orange caboose. Before I saw your pictures, I thought the caboose you saw was a ratty ol' red one the MBTA purchased a while back but as-of-yet has not used.
  by TrainManTy

If I'd never seen C-1 before I'd probably look at that photo and call it red. It's already a reddish orange and the light doesn't help, nor does the fact that the stereotypical caboose is red. Leave a red caboose in the sun for a few years and it'll look just like that...
  by gunsanplanes

Yeah, I saw it this morning and said to myself "that's not red ya dope, it's on off orange kind of deal"
I noted it at the last second as I was driving over that crossing, my attention focused to my left on the fire truck and the deluge of water cascading out of the car where the tie fire was just extinguished.
I rarely see an engine hanging out on that section, but if I remember correctly, and that is always a big if, I think it was a white painted engine that I've seen in the past, and that was a couple of years back when they were dropping off the sticks of rail that have been laying there ever since.
It's not easy to make out, but they dropped maybe 20 lengths as seen to the left of the tracks.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=33600
  by jbvb

This morning: Jog in easterly track E of Andover St. remains, but rails somewhat polished through the crossing, crossover & yard, indicating it's been used a few times. Sharp-angle switch still sitting near the old tower. No activity at JK (I-495), turnout parts still awaiting assembly. Men on the ground E of Andover station and a loader with a crane beam mounted parked by Essex St. Crew building track panels on the easterly in front of the B&M Andover depot, W of Essex St. Contractors building a fancy stone facade over the Shawsheen by the cemetery, but the easterly track W of the bridge isn't yet reconnected. Nothing has changed from Macaulay to WJ since bridge work ended last winter, though there was a signal truck at WJ.

This seems consistent with connecting the easterly Frye - Macaulay in May or June, though they'll have to move fast to complete it during the 5/17-18 shutdown. Operationally, I expect they'll hold WB freights at JK until they have a route through LJ, because 1) area around Macaulay has a number of residences & businesses, 2) freights longer than 50-60 cars will block the cemetery crossing when held at Macaulay.
  by octr202

There is an alert up on mbta.com for 15-20 min delays to weekend trains for trackwork. Stations referenced are North Wilmington to Haverhill.

The Loram rail grinder (the small three unit one, not the large mainline type) was parked on the unused leg of the Lowell Jct wye this morning (Friday).
  by wilhelmh

Sorry, can someone explain the benefit of rail-grinding? Until recently, I thought the shiny rail surface was due only to normal use.

If this is too off-topic, please feel free to move my question.

Thanks!
  by GP40MC1118

Single Track this weekend from CPF-JK to CPF-Frost. All trains will be using
Track 17 for the duration using a temporary platform. More work at CPF-AS.

D
  by Rockingham Racer

GP40MC1118 wrote:Single Track this weekend from CPF-JK to CPF-Frost. All trains will be using

D
Yes, and that temporary platform, IMO, should be set up to be permanent.
  by eastwind

GP40MC1118 wrote:More work at CPF-AS.

D
Crossovers? Or have those already been installed?

(Gee, I wish somebody would post current pictures....;-)) :-)
  by Mcoov

Rockingham Racer wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:Single Track this weekend from CPF-JK to CPF-Frost. All trains will be using

D
Yes, and that temporary platform, IMO, should be set up to be permanent.
Where is this? I presume Lawrence.
  by morgan28k

This weekend at the AS crossing, 100 yards or so of the westerly main track were replaced.
The replacement started east of the crossing at about the point where the old turnout and
flange oiler were removed. The old rails were removed and the old ties and ballasts dug
out making use of two big front-end loaders. New rail installed via four pre-made track
panels. New gravel added as ballast with the ballast machine doing its thing.
  by insider485

Noticed Monday afternoon that the guard rail and fences were removed. They were next to the tracks under Rt 93, near the wild cat. Ballast has filled in the new easterly tracks R.O.W. up too the Rt 28 bridge in Andover. Road x-ing tracks ready to be installed over Essex & (can't remember the other street) sitting on top of the new easterly rail at the old Andover train station. Looks like prep work almost done for the May 17-18th crossing work.
  by octr202

There's a lot of signal materials staged, but still some more work to do on that front at Pearson & Essex Streets crossing in Andover. Looks like one of the likely three signal bases for new or relocated crossing signals has been installed, but a couple more still to go.

No change on the eastward track area through the Andover station area as of this morning, but I didn't look too far east towards Lawrence.