• Haverhill Line Upgrades (Western Route)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by insider485

Yes pretty sad indeed. You would think with the road dug up they would drop the double rail down next to the western route rail. Never through they were just replace the existing tracks. I guess you can dig it up again once Andover removes the storm drain that's in the R.O.W. (From what I read prior) I think the completion date is sometime in 2017? So, plenty of time. Look at the extra millions $$$$$ it cost to replace the two Shawsheen river bridges. Why save any money, or schedule work that can be completed at the same time? Yup, another fair increase scheduled for July 1st of 6.5%, 3cent increase in gas tax, yup all is well!!!!

Ya, and the Downeaster is on time!
  by sery2831

Both projects are contract work. Fitchburg to JF White and Haverhill awarded to MBCR. Both have dates and goals, they are giving set times for work. If they use the time or not it's up to them, as long as the work gets done.
  by octr202

The new schedules are up for the Haverhill Line. These include the two midday trains bused between Bradford and Haverhill. The odd part is (and only confusing to us on places like this) that they re-numbered all of the trains. They now go in numerical order, no gaps left as before to allow trains to be added to the schedule.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Docum ... erhill.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by deathtopumpkins

I find it curious that 5 inbounds run via the Wildcat while only 1 outbound does. Why is this? I know the old schedule was the same way.
  by gokeefe

insider485 wrote:Finally, the speed restrictions are lifted at LJ and VW!!!!!!
What is the track speed now?
  by Rockingham Racer

insider485 wrote:Finally, the speed restrictions are lifted at LJ and VW!!!!!!

Where is VW?
  by gunsanplanes

Just a note, nothing of real importance to impart.
I drive over the crossing at Lowell Junction to get to my job, and at 6 am both mornings this weekend, they have a crew there building track panels, I've seen this on other weekends also.
I usually see track sections show up pre-made, but recently they got a shipment of bare ties and loose mounting hardware, and they get started laying everything out and spray painting mark points and custom build.
  by insider485

looks like from yesterdays return trip east on the Haverhill line, that they started again to lay track down past the P&G siding (gone for sometime) toward the metal wall. I see piles of tie's everywhere now. Nothing going on with the Andover storm drain still in the way of the easterly line at Essex st. :( :-)
  by gokeefe

Hopefully all of that is in preparation for a very busy summer construction season.
  by octr202

Yeah, noticed the same thing last night. There was some limited construction of the new track on both ends of the LJ-WJ segment, and there also appears to be some work equipment set up to do track construction just west of Essex St in Andover (by the old station building). Most days have seen work crews mustering at Lowell Jct each morning, so some activity is resuming.

Still lots of "heavy" work to do though - the storm drain relocation at Essex St, as well as the retaining wall work between LJ and WJ...still no signs of any of that starting. It could just be that the track construction we're seeing now is just more "keep crews busy" work when there's not as much else to do.

As an aside, I still get a chuckle every time I see the "ceremonial first track segment" that was used for the groundbreaking ceremony with the local politicians back in what, 2010? It's lost in the weeds now by the cemetery crossing off Lupine Road in Andover, never installed. This time of year you almost can't even find it in the brush!
  by Rockingham Racer

I saw a reference somewhere else to CPF-FY. Is that the new universal crossover at I-495 in South Lawrence?
  by jbvb

Sumner, people who appear to be insiders have used "JK" for the 'someday' high-speed crossovers straddling the I-495 overpass. 'CPF-FY' sounds like Frye, the current end of double track between Shawsheen and Andover.
  by Rockingham Racer

jbvb wrote:Sumner, people who appear to be insiders have used "JK" for the 'someday' high-speed crossovers straddling the I-495 overpass. 'CPF-FY' sounds like Frye, the current end of double track between Shawsheen and Andover.
Yes, and sorry. I was thinking of JK, not FY.
  by jbvb

My first Haverhill Line trip in two weeks did not reveal much progress. The easterly track at Andover St. still has the 'wow', the assembled turnout remains by the old tower foundation. No change at I-495. A little track assembly and ballasting has taken place across from the Andover platform. The old track removed from the westerly grade crossing sits on the easterly by the old depot. Contractor continues masonry work on the Andover Shawsheen bridge, seems to be done with the LJ bridge. In Phase II territory, brush has been cleared from WJ to the steel cribbing that's blocking the easterly RoW, and more ties and rail have been assembled east of the cribbing.

I wonder if a FOIA request would reveal when MBCR is obliged to complete either phase. But if Andover's sewer grate constitutes 'force majeure' that could stall it all summer. There's apparently no intent to get I-495 ready before the easterly can be connected through to Macaulay.